Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Cannot convert 32-bit WAV to ALAC using foobar2000 (Read 1792 times) previous topic - next topic

Cannot convert 32-bit WAV to ALAC using foobar2000

Today I found that I have trouble to convert 32-bit WAV to ALAC using foobar2000 + qaac/refalac.

I tried multiple combinations of command line options (with or without %s), none of them work.
(The default one is
Code: [Select]
--ignorelength --no-optimize --alac -o %d -
)

The error info is:

1 out of 1 tracks converted with major problems.

Source: "filename.wav"
  An error occurred while writing to file (The encoder has terminated prematurely with code 2 (0x00000002); please re-check parameters) : "C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\filename.m4a"
  Additional information:
  Encoder stream format: 96000Hz / 2ch / 32bps
  Command line: "D:\Program Files\foobar2000\encoders\qaac.exe" --ignorelength --no-optimize --alac -o "temp-D2D6B35F57C625178F85AA08FAC4672F.m4a" -
  Working folder: C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\

Conversion failed: The encoder has terminated prematurely with code 2 (0x00000002); please re-check parameters

It works if I set depth to 24-bit or lower.

It also works if I directly use the CLIs in CMD:

qaac.exe a.wav --ignorelength --no-optimize --alac -o a.m4a
OR simply
refalac a.wav -o a.m4a

It just dosn't work with Foobar+32-bit.

Re: Cannot convert 32-bit WAV to ALAC using foobar2000

Reply #1
I assume your file is 32-bit integer. foobar2000's 32-bit mode uses floating point and WavPack may be the only lossless compressor that supports it.

Reply #2
And even then, converting with foobar2000 will truncate the sample precision anyway, even if 24 bit is already pushing the bounds of audibility.

So you'll have to convert them outside of foobar2000 if you want to maintain the original data.

Reply #3
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I know 32bit is kinda pointless, just that the raw material I purchased from a hi-res site came this way.

I guess I will use CLI outside then.

Reply #4
I assume your file is 32-bit integer. foobar2000's 32-bit mode uses floating point and WavPack may be the only lossless compressor that supports it.

I'd admit I don't know to check it.. I tried the newly introduced metatag "%bitspersample_extra%", but it just shows "?" for the original WAV file or converted ALAC file.
Did I miss something?

Reply #5
Easiest way to check would be foobar2000 properties dialog. Note that if the track has been loaded into foobar2000 before you updated to 1.4.1 beta series the old data will be cached. Reload info and it should be visible.

Reply #6
Thanks! Reloading works.

(It doesn't support ALAC, but the changelog does only say PCM).