Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Opus 1.3-rc (Read 53669 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Opus 1.3-rc

Reply #100
What uses ambisonics in opus?
It appears to have something to do with multi-channel (surround) encoding. No idea what it brings.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Reply #101
What uses ambisonics in opus?
It appears to have something to do with multi-channel (surround) encoding. No idea what it brings.
It is a surround format that doesn't rely on fixed speaker positions or the number of speakers. The closest thing I can think of is something like Dolby Atmos.
For example with a normal 5.1 surround audio track you need 5.1 speakers to hear the how it is intended. Then when you use headphones there is not information in the 5.1 audio track to determine how to correctly represent the sound field around the listener in stereo.
With Ambisonics you would get the correct surround sound no matter the amount of speakers. The Ambisonics B-format gets rendered to headphones or to the amount of speakers you have.
It is very useful for Virtual Reality.

Reply #103
Opus-tools v0.1.10-80-g1a646c4 (using libopus 1.3-rc-15-g38fca4a2)
Built on August 27, 2018, GCC 7.3.0(32bit)/8.2.0(64bit)

https://git.xiph.org/?p=opus-tools.git;a=summary
https://git.xiph.org/?p=libopusenc.git;a=summary
https://git.xiph.org/?p=opus.git;a=summary
https://git.xiph.org/?p=opusfile.git;a=summary

Reply #104
I've been compiling the latest opus commits from GitHub and wow! 64kbit audio sounds better  :)) (Or maybe it is just me XD)

Latest as of this post is 1.3 rc 22

Code: [Select]
opus-tools 0.1.10-80-g1a646c4-dirty (using libopus 1.3-rc-22-g4a643d98-dirty)

Reply #106
Opus release 1.3-rc2

This is a second release candidate for the upcoming 1.3 release and includes:
- Fixing an issue with bandwidth detection
- Ambisonics support now exabled by default
- Ambisonics now uses families 2 and 3 (instead of experimental 253 and 254)
- Hardening is now enabled by default

Reply #107
Opus release 1.3-rc2
Please don't do that. I realize how tempting it is to scoop everyone in announcing a release before the maintainers do, but it's not helping. These are "tentative" tags and tarballs. They may be released as is or they may not if we find build issues while finishing the release. We uploaded them in advance to minimize the risk of screwing up during the release, but if it's no longer possible to do that, then we'll have to upload everything at once, increasing the odds of messing up. Yes, Opus 1.2-rc2 is coming, but it's not all wrapped up and announced for a reason. Please respect that.

Reply #110
@soundping

Any chance there is a 64bit one? ; I ask because those encode files quicker than the 32bit.

but speaking of 64bit.... is there even a official Opus 64bit? ; because I noticed in the Foobar2000 Encoders Pack it only offers the 32bit one.
For music I suggest (using Foobar2000)... MP3 (LAME) @ V5 (130kbps). NOTE: using on AGPTEK-U3 as of Mar 18th 2021. I use 'fatsort' (on Linux) so MP3's are listed in proper order on AGPTEK-U3.

Reply #112
@soundping

Any chance there is a 64bit one? ; I ask because those encode files quicker than the 32bit.

but speaking of 64bit.... is there even a official Opus 64bit? ; because I noticed in the Foobar2000 Encoders Pack it only offers the 32bit one.

I compile the Opus GitHub repos using Visual Studio 2017 using the Release x64 configuration  :))

In Foobar2000, you should be able to locate the opusenc.exe file. I didn't installed the encoder pack but I have it running the local executable. The same applied for EAC to rip Audio CD to Opus directly.