Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Signal loss in using splitter cable (Read 3036 times) previous topic - next topic

Signal loss in using splitter cable

Hi. I wanted to connect two sub woofers in my system, but the amplifier has just one pre-out...

I tried splitter RCA cables (1 input, 2 outputs...), but this halves the audio signal level.

How can I solve this problem? Thank you...

Re: Signal loss in using splitter cable

Reply #1
Hi. I wanted to connect two sub woofers in my system, but the amplifier has just one pre-out...
It's not stereo?    (Usually the line-level subwoofer-output is mono if you have one, but you should have left & right pre-outs..)

I tried splitter RCA cables (1 input, 2 outputs...), but this halves the audio signal level.
That's odd...  The output impedance of the amplifier should be (relatively) low and the input impedance of the amplifiers in the subwoofers should be (relatively) high and, within reason, the load shouldn't affect the signal voltage.

...Normally, you can connect two inputs together but you should never connect two outputs together.

I don't know if your amplifier or subwoofers are the problem.   Do you have the specs for either one?  The headphone output would probably work better.   But if you connect headphones at the same time they could "pull-down" the signal.   

P.S.
Maybe you're getting acoustic cancellation.  Is there a phase (or polarity) switch on the subs?   Or, maybe one is just wired backwards internally?  Or, if they are not both the same model they could have opposite polarity. 

If the subs have a volume control, try turning the volume all the way down on one of them.   Then check to see if plugging-in the muted one really reduces the signal to the other one.   Or if there is no volume control just un-plug or turn-off the power and do the same experiment.

Reply #2
If you're still using the Denon amplifier that you wrote about earlier, it has both a left and a right pre-out. Did you change amps?

Reply #3
If you're still using the Denon amplifier that you wrote about earlier, it has both a left and a right pre-out. Did you change amps?
No @StandsOnFeet, I'm using the same amplifier (Denon Pma 720ae).

I understood now that, there's no problem actually.

When using one subwoofer, I connect the amplifier's both "Left + Right" pre-outs to subwoofer.

But when I try to use two subwoofers, I'm trying connecting only the "Left" (or "Right") pre-out to one of the subwoofers with a splitter cable, therefore the signal is naturally decreases about %50 - it's not because of the splitter, it's because of using "one" out instead of "two."

I'm sorry for the unnecessary post...