Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Adaptec ASPIv4.70 Crashes EAC Under XP (Read 8702 times) previous topic - next topic

Adaptec ASPIv4.70 Crashes EAC Under XP

There is a new ASPI layer version 4.70 available directly from Adaptec, but be careful with it.

I am running XP Home Edition on a Pentium III @ 750.  I was very careful to use INSTALL.BAT XP32 as instructed.  The new aspichk.exe reported a successful installation.  My EAC is set up correctly to use external ASPI.

When I tried to rip a track uncompressed, my system immediately went into a warm reboot, ScanDisk ran, and Windows reported that it had recovered from a serious error, which I reported.

After a second attempt, starting with a cold reboot, the result was the same.  Luckily I had my ASPI 4.6 files stored offline in a zip file, and was able to recover.  Even then, I found that my EAC database had been corrupted (although I cannot prove that installing ASPI 4.70 caused this), causing EAC to crash with a CDDB error message, and I will now have to rebuild the whole thing. The only thing I found worth saving out of ASPIv4.70 was the new version of aspichk.exe.

XP users, if you simply must try the new version for yourself, please back up these files first, and remember where they go (substituting your own drive letter and/or Windows folder if different from mine):

ASPI Layer Files
C:WindowsSystemwinaspi.dll
C:WindowsSystemwowpost.exe
C:WindowsSystem32wnaspi32.dll
C:WindowsSystem32Driversaspi32.sys

EAC Database File
C:Program FilesExact Audio CopyCDDB.DAT

Good luck and regards,
Madrigal

Reply #1
You do know with the new EAC you don't really need ASPI with Windows XP, right?  You can use "Native Win32 interface for Win NT & 2000".

Works for me... at least after I set up my IDE controller correctly.  It's a long story, but basically I had to install drivers for my IDE controller so Windows would recognize my drives were not SCSI drives (I do have a SCSI hard drive but IDE CD-ROM drives) and were attached to the computer.  Before that EAC would read TOC but hang (bad!) and CDEX would see no drives (better).
A fearless audio explorer in search of Truth, Beauty, and the elusive MPC-busting sample!

Reply #2
So is it recommended to install this new version?

Reply #3
Originally posted by Jansemanden
So is it recommended to install this new version?

Works fine under Windows 98SE...

Reply #4
worked on my windows 2000 setup.  dunno... but on your windows xp setup, did u upgrade from windows 9x or something?  just a question... i just know that the default install directory for xp is winnt.

Reply #5
I have to correct you on that, c-prompt. The default install directory for Windows XP (Pro) is WINDOWS, not WINNT.

Edit: And no, I'm not talking about the upgrade version of Windows XP.

Reply #6
hm u sure?  i installed xp pro corp. on a friends box and it wanted me to use winnt... tho its not a legit copy.. that could have something to do with it - being cracked to hell and back that is...

Reply #7
Jansemanden:

I'll be sticking with 4.6 for the foreseeable future.

Regards,
Madrigal

Reply #8
C-prompt, were you upgrading it from Win2k?  My XP Corp installs to Windows.

To be more on topic, I haven't had any problems with these new ASPI drivers as of yet under XP.  It's good to know that they can be downgraded in case I run into some issues though

Reply #9
If your computer does not have old ASPI layer installed, running install.bat is not enough. There are two files missing, which you have to install by running ASPIINST.EXE.

Edit: Just re-read your post again, and apparently you had old ASPI. I removed aspi 4.6 before installing this new version and EAC crashed on me too. After running aspiinst.exe it works like it should.

Reply #10
Not sure if this is related but Nero 5572 crashes on my WindowsXP (reboots the PC), but Nero 5524 has no problem.

Reply #11
Nero 5572 does not crash on my computer.

Reply #12
tubenut:

Thank you!  It was news to me that the native Win32 interface now works properly.  This solved all problems for me and my non-SCSI drives.

Once again, the best of all the forums comes up with the right answer.

Regards,
Madrigal

Reply #13
mr1337pants, actually, after looking into it further, the copy i have is a beta that is very modified for some person.  this is what probably explains the unstablility of my friends machine...

edit - sorry if i accused whoever it was above of upgrading