Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Multiple Instances of Foobar? (Read 23651 times) previous topic - next topic

Multiple Instances of Foobar?

Is it possible to run multiple instances of Foobar at one time?  Not just mulitple playlists, but multiple instances going to different audio outputs.  I've got an 8 output channel sound card (RME Multiface) with which I've often got to have 3 or 4 stereo playbacks going at the same time to the different outputs (1+2, 3+4, 5+6, 7+8).

I've thought about installing Foobar 4 times into different folders, but I thought it might gunk up the registry, and I'm hesitant to do that on my show computer.

Many thanks in advance.

Reply #1
Yes, you can, and it does work.
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #2
Right. What's more, as foobar2000 doesn't need any registry settings (except for file association settings) to run properly, you can install once, and then copy the whole foobar2000 directory to another place multiple times.

However, I don't think this would work if you have foobar2000 configured to store its foobar2000.cfg configuration file in your profile directory.

Reply #3
So let me make sure I've got this right: I'll have to do multiple installs (or copy over a single install) and disable user profile support to get multiple instances to work?  Right now I've got a single install and when I hit its' shortcut a second time, the original instance of Foobar just flashes.  Thanks.

Reply #4
So let me make sure I've got this right: I'll have to do multiple installs (or copy over a single install) and disable user profile support to get multiple instances to work?  Right now I've got a single install and when I hit its' shortcut a second time, the original instance of Foobar just flashes.  Thanks.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=318116"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If the foobar2000.cfg configuration file stored in the same folder as foobar2000 (ie: user profile support disabled) :
just copy the whole folder somewhere else and launch the foobar2000.exe from that copy.
Enjoy!
Best audio player for the power user: foobar2000

Reply #5
Thanks!!!

Reply #6
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=318116"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If the foobar2000.cfg configuration file stored in the same folder as foobar2000 (ie: user profile support disabled) :
just copy the whole folder somewhere else and launch the foobar2000.exe from that copy.
Enjoy!

I think my configuration file is global so every instance use it. How can I disable user profile support?

Reply #7
I think my configuration file is global so every instance use it. How can I disable user profile support?

Remove the file "user_profiles_enabled" from the foobar2000 directory.

Reply #8
kode54, last time I advised that, my post got removed, with the quotation "The two files you mentioned should never be removed manually."
That benig one of them.

Instead he should change his settings within foobar2000 to not use the profile folder.

I also think it's harmless but not everyone.
Windows 10 Pro x64 // foobar2000 1.3.10

Reply #9
kode54, last time I advised that, my post got removed, with the quotation "The two files you mentioned should never be removed manually."
That benig one of them.

Instead he should change his settings within foobar2000 to not use the profile folder.

I also think it's harmless but not everyone.

Ok, where is this setting? can't find it.

Reply #10
Preferences -> General -> Location of Configuration files
select Application install folder, close foobar and you can copy the folder!

Reply #11
Preferences -> General -> Location of Configuration files
select Application install folder, close foobar and you can copy the folder!

Thanks

Reply #12
Yeah, I suppose that would be correct, I did completely forget that there was a configuration option to change that. Of course, it was rather late when I posted that. Heh.