Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 0.9.5.1 Beta 2 / ASIO issues (Read 6704 times) previous topic - next topic

0.9.5.1 Beta 2 / ASIO issues

I decided to test out the Beta 2 of Foobar 0.9.5.1 and I am noticing extreme slow downs almost to the point of crashing when I am trying to change tracks or stop playback. I am not running any third party modules and it's completely stock. Tracks have both been MP3 and Flac

System Specs
- AMD Athlon 64 3000 socket 939
- 1 Gig of ram Corsair XMS 3200 DDR
- DFI Lanparty mobo (Nividia Nforce 4 Ultra)
- Soundcard  EMU0404 PCI (using latest driver from manufacture)

Reply #1
(...) to the point of crashing (...)

Please post your crash logs if you have any. (failure_xxxxxxxx.txt in the foobar2000 folder)

Reply #2
I am unable to reproduce this behavior on three different test machines:

System 1:
- AMD Athalon 64 3700+ socket 939
- 2gig of ram Corsair ValueSelect DDR2 533
- Asus A8N-SLI Premium
- Onboard sound through SPDIF
- XPSP2 & Ubuntu w/wine

System 2:
- Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz socket 775
- 1gig random samsung cheapo DDR 333
- Intel D915GAG
- Onboard Audio & Random PCI Soundblaster Live
- XPSP2

System 3:
- Intel Xeon X3220 socket 775
- 8gig OCZ Reaper DDR2 800
- Asus Striker Extreme
- Onboard sound through SPDIF
- Ubuntu w/wine

MP3, FLAC, APE, and OGG all played fine.  Do you have another system you can test on because it sounds like it may be something particular to your setup.

Reply #3
(...) to the point of crashing (...)

Please post your crash logs if you have any. (failure_xxxxxxxx.txt in the foobar2000 folder)

Well it hasn't completely crashed yet, it just slows down to where it hangs the system up and then comes back. If it ever completely crashes I'll post the crash log.

I am unable to reproduce this behavior on three different test machines:

MP3, FLAC, APE, and OGG all played fine.  Do you have another system you can test on because it sounds like it may be something particular to your setup.

Other box is Ubuntu right now, I been using this computer for Foorbar since 2005 with no similar problems, I forgot I do run the ASIO component (the latest on the site) but I've been running ASIO all along with out similar problems.

Reply #4
I decided to test out the Beta 2 of Foobar 0.9.5.1 and I am noticing extreme slow downs almost to the point of crashing...
How can something "almost crash"?
I forgot I do run the ASIO component (the latest on the site) but I've been running ASIO all along with out similar problems.
Stop using ASIO then. The problem is most likely caused by resource leaks in your ASIO driver accumulating between sessions, which didn't happen in older foobar2000 versions because they unloaded/reloaded the ASIO driver when stopping/restarting playback.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #5

I decided to test out the Beta 2 of Foobar 0.9.5.1 and I am noticing extreme slow downs almost to the point of crashing...
How can something "almost crash"?
I forgot I do run the ASIO component (the latest on the site) but I've been running ASIO all along with out similar problems.
Stop using ASIO then. The problem is most likely caused by resource leaks in your ASIO driver accumulating between sessions, which didn't happen in older foobar2000 versions because they unloaded/reloaded the ASIO driver when stopping/restarting playback.

Ah that explains it then, thanks  .. Do they plan on fixing this? I just uninstalled 0.9.5.1 and installed 0.9.4.5 with the older ASIO module and it's running fine.

Reply #7
You'd need to ask the people who built your ASIO drivers, because they're the ones who should do the fixing, probably.

Oops totally misread what peter said lol, this driver actually just come out last month, but Creative (who owns Emu) isn't the most efficient at driver releases for this card. The last driver before this was somewhere around 2005.

Reply #8
What's the point of using the ASIO driver? Seriously, there shouldn't be an audible difference.

Reply #9
I use the E-MU 1616m with the newest drivers///  haven't tried the ASIO with foobar2000 yet.  Not sure if the ASIO driver is the same, but I will go ahead and try it this afternoon and post back my results.

Reply #10
Alright, well I've done some limited testing on my 1616m ASIO machine, using the latest ASIO drivers from E-MU, and the ASIO component from here: http://www.foobar2000.org/components/index.html

I haven't yet noticed any problems with the 9.5.1 beta2.

My specs are:

Toshiba Satellite P15 S420 Laptop
Intel P4HT 3.0 gHz / 512MB RAM
E-MU 1616m
WinXP SP2

---

Edit: Where did you download the ASIO component from?  Have you noticed any problems using ASIO with other programs?  Have you tried reinstalling the E-MU drivers?

Reply #11
I haven't had any issues with the Asio drivers on my M-Audio card with beta2.

(knock-on-wood)