Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Help for the lamers out there (Read 5258 times) previous topic - next topic

Help for the lamers out there

Okay - gonna cause a problem here a bit like I once did back on the VQF.com/bbs.

I am not an audio engineer, sound technician, programmer or even someone who understands physics that well :], but the encoding of audio using lossy techniques and models of human hearing really intrigues me.

Furthermore, using something like Lame which has got to be one of the best audio projects ever as it is constantly being tweaked by a bunch of audio nuts who are the best about in the non-commercial sector, I have come to a better understanding of what some of the terminology, switches and parameters do.

BUT, what I would possibly trade a family member for is a glossary or perhaps (because there are so many terms and only the few that really understand them) a dictionary/combination thesaurus.

I would really love to feel confident that I understand what a short block is, what it does and why it is better than a long block (or not) and where one would use it

I have yet to come across anything like this that really appreciates just how little the average lamer knows

I know the aim and no doubt many sleepless nights of Dibrom, r3mix and all the other contributors including Menno, Andre and Ivan on their respective encoders is to conceal all the smart stuff behind profiles that idiots like me can use - but somehow appreciation I find doesn't come from blissful ignorance, it comes from having enough knowledge to truly appreciate the miracle of tinkering that has produced these amazingly user-friendly profiles.

I am more than willing to help with a layout and structure of such a glossary or dictionary (perhaps someone has created one already) because above all, if there is a desire to offer the world's lamers a hand, it will need to have the contribution of lamers  to make it accessible.

I suppose my plea comes from spending more time (possibly than is healthy) on this board enjoying the conversations, debates and innovations - I just wish I had a firmer basic knowledge of the difference between pre-echo and scalefactor :]

Kind regards

Bladeraptor

Reply #1
This kind of thing actually does sound like a good idea.  That is, some sort of basic psychoacoustic audio compression guide explaining what a bunch of these things mean, and how they affect sound, etc.  I'll keep all of this in mind for the FAQs which I hope to start working on in the near future.  Hopefully I can get a few developers interested in some of this because I believe they understand a lot of this better than anyone since they work with it constantly.

Reply #2
Perhaps you'll find some answers to your questions in mp3-tech.org's glossary.

Reply #3
Hey Dibrom, did you forget about the PDF file I sent to you?

Reply #4
Originally posted by tangent
Hey Dibrom, did you forget about the PDF file I sent to you?

Nope.  I remember, and this thread got me thinking about it again.  I just haven't had time to do anything useful with it or decide where or how to implement it yet

I think it might be a little bit too technical though for just common FAQ browsing... perhaps it could be used to provide even more information on top of all of that though.

Reply #5
for those of you who've seen it (I did): ThomasLG's doc will come close to what all newbies and semi-newbies need...
No inspiration

Reply #6
Great - where can i get a butchers at this document (ThomasLG's doc )?

Regards

Bladeraptor

Reply #7
Well ask ThomasLG over on the r3mix board. It isn't done yet so I don't know if you'll be able to get a copy already...
No inspiration

Reply #8
i would also be interested in helping with a little (or big) faq of some sort... i understand what some terms mean (and i have had a lot of explanation from filburt and andree) and i would love to impart this knowledge to others... i started a little faq on my site (mainly concerning the available options for the mpc encoder) and have been meaning to expand it and add more detail to it... if someone wants to help out with that feel free to contact me...

also contact me if someone else is writing a faq or something... i think i can explain some things in detail....

Reply #9
Hi Spase - had a look at the FAQ and yes it was useful and i suppose increasingly it dawns on me that most of the people on the expert boards such as this one probably have a basic level of knowledge and would probably get really aggravated about having to go back to basics with a bunch of lamers exploring the joys of masking and encoder frames.

My problem is I have yet to see something that starts from scratch (presupposing no knowledge) and which builds up slowly in layers a picture of what the different elements of an encoder do and some of the theory behind phsycoacoustic modelling, huffman coding etc.

My main interest I suppose is in my role as an online music analyst I spend a lot of time getting hot under the collar at guys in the mainstream press who talk ignorantly about lossy encoding and the various merits of different formats - but in yelling at them I'm conscious of my own ignorance and i want to improve the depth and accuracy of my knowledge - now I don't have the training or the background to pick this stuff up and would really benefit form somebody knowledgeable guiding me through the mass of terms used on boards like this everyday.

i suppose for anybody brave enough to do so they would have the daunting task of proving to themsleves and the rest of the board that they really know the subject - as i know from trying to explain the complexities of online music rights to non music people - you can't really say you know a subject until you have tried successfully to teach it to a fuckwit.

Any takers :]

Regards

Bladeraptor

Reply #10
exactly what i was thinking.... if you have any questions feel free to email me... i know SOME stuff about SOME stuff, but i wouldnt know where to start

Reply #11
my thoughts exactly.... if you have any specific questions exactly i might be able to answer... if they're basic... otherwise i dont really know where to start... as for advanced topics... maybe someone else can offer?

oh yea my email is [a href='mailto:pumpkinz99@aol.com'][/a]

Reply #12
hi, spase

there are some problem for your homepage.

when i browse your homepage, i only see half part  of that, and left part is for nothing,meantime right part of the homepage is compressed.

my display is MAG786FD 1024*768.

please check your homepage with other PCs.

regards.

Reply #13
hmm... not quite sure what the problem would be... according to my tracker more than half the people who browse the site use a 1024x768 resolution