Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Good DVD-RW for DAE ? (Read 3330 times) previous topic - next topic

Good DVD-RW for DAE ?

I need to get a new external DVD-RW and I want one that does DAE well.  I care more about accuracy and reliability then about speed.

I assumed that Plextor drives would be good for this, so I was surprised to see that the Plextor external DVD-RW in my local store - PX-740UF - is not good for DAE because it supports  caching.

Good DVD-RW for DAE ?

Reply #1
Please search the forum first before posting as there are alot of threads like this floating around... The Plextor PX-740A is a rebadged BenQ DW1640 and the Plextor PX-750A is a rebadged TEAC model... Audio caching just means that the extraction time in EAC will be slower since EAC has to overread the cache for the extraction to remain secure...

Good DVD-RW for DAE ?

Reply #2
Please search the forum first before posting as there are alot of threads like this floating around... The Plextor PX-740A is a rebadged BenQ DW1640 and the Plextor PX-750A is a rebadged TEAC model... Audio caching just means that the extraction time in EAC will be slower since EAC has to overread the cache for the extraction to remain secure...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=374570"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi.  Yes, I did search, but I searched on the PX-740UF since this is the external model and I need external.

And, yes, I understand that audio caching will not ultimately prevent me from getting an accurate rip, but it will mean more work (equals shorter life) for the drive when ripping in secure mode.  So, if I'm buying a new drive that is 50% for doing DAE, I might as well get one that has all the right features (C2 and no caching) if possible.  And that's why I posted here.

Good DVD-RW for DAE ?

Reply #3
So, if I'm buying a new drive that is 50% for doing DAE, I might as well get one that has all the right features (C2 and no caching) if possible.  And that's why I posted here.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=375146"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It also depends. Are you going to rip terribly scratched CDs? To rip normal CDs accurately, on EAC, caching or no-caching is irrelevant.

A lot has changed since 1998-2000 where getting a good drive was tricky.
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Good DVD-RW for DAE ?

Reply #4
Also, secure mode is not even necessary anymore to get SECURE rips.

Get a caching drive, use EAC's burst mode with test and copy and rip to your hearts content.
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com