Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DevProposal: mono.wav -> mono.ogg (Read 4583 times) previous topic - next topic

DevProposal: mono.wav -> mono.ogg

Hello,

I would find it very usefull if one could use the ogg codec also for:

mono.waves -> mono.oggs
(mono.oggs  -> mono.waves)
(mono.oggs  -> stereo.waves)

Cheers,
klf

Reply #1
Your post makes no sense to me. What is it you want?

Reply #2
Why would you want to decode a mono ogg to stereo wave?
For processing? Just duplicate channels!

And you make mono Vorbis files from mono waves by default.
ruxvilti'a

Reply #3
You encode mono WAVs the same way you encode stereo WAVs. No change for decoding mono Oggs either.

I can't see why you would want to decode a mono Ogg to a stereo WAV.

You might want to go here to pick up some CLI encoders/decoders and some nice GUIs.

Edit: Why is this in the dev forum?
Hard work might not kill you, but why take any chances?

Reply #4
I know exactly one reason to add this function:
for burning mono files to CD as CD Audio.
ruxvilti'a

Reply #5
Hello,

@AstralStorm: wright - this ONE thing is what I want to do with mono oggs: burning.
... and I did not find a way to duplicate channels in an easy way.

@anthrax: hmmh... When I want to decode mono wave with oggdropXP 1.6.11e I get the error, that it only processes stereo waves?!

I have some recording I made (own songs) in mono that I can only ogg, when I insert them in an music-productions App and downmix them again, which is quit a hassle...

Greetz,
KLF

PS: somebody of the german ogg-community told me to send this to the dev forum (for to reach john33?).

Reply #6
dBpowerAMP Music Converter will convert a mono wave to Stereo ogg, no problems.

Reply #7
Hello,

@anthrax: hmmh... When I want to decode mono wave with oggdropXP 1.6.11e I get the error, that it only processes stereo waves?!

PS: somebody of the german ogg-community told me to send this to the dev forum (for to reach john33?).

oggdropXPd 1.7, and most of it's predecessors, will encode a mono wave file to a mono ogg file and back to a mono wave file, without error.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you want to decode a mono ogg file to a 2 channel mono/mono file?

Reply #8
Hello,

@john: 
I have now downloaded&installed oggdropXPd 1.7 - now it accepts mono waves! :-)
No - not quite... I want to decode the mono oggs to 16/44,1k stereo interleave wave - the format to burn them on CD. It would be great if I have this Decoding option in my oggdropXP, but if this isn`t possible...

@spoon:
... I will have a look at the dBpowerAMP Music Converter.

Greetings,
klf

Reply #9
Hello,

@john: 
I have now downloaded&installed oggdropXPd 1.7 - now it accepts mono waves! :-)
No - not quite... I want to decode the mono oggs to 16/44,1k stereo interleave wave - the format to burn them on CD. It would be great if I have this Decoding option in my oggdropXP, but if this isn`t possible...

I think we are talking about the same thing.  You want the decoded mono stream to be written into both channels, ie mono stream copied into left channel and right channel?

Reply #10
As long as it's sampled at 44.1kHz, 16-bits, then most CD writing applications will happily burn a mono .wav file onto an audio CD, converting it to "stereo" as it goes. This is one kind of on-the-fly conversion that is easy and trivial, and you can trust almost any CD writing software to do it correctly.

Has someone told you that you must convert first, or have you found that your CD writing software will not accept mono 44.1kHz 16-bit .wavs?

Cheers,
David.