Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Who listens at a reference loudness? (Read 3651 times) previous topic - next topic

Who listens at a reference loudness?

A few months ago I calibrated my system to the K-20 standard which means -20dB RMS pink noise comes out at 83dB SPL at my listening seat.  I use Replay Gain at its original (and best) 83dB target level (nowadays this means -6dB in the pre-amp).

It's a really nice listening level and Replay Gain is great at keeping everything at the same average loudness.  Where it really shines is films, of course, because the soundtracks are actually mixed at this exact level.  I do wonder if any music would ever fully peak like film special effects sometimes do.  But I see no point in setting my system 6dB lower and Replay Gain at 89dB when it can handle 83dB just fine.

If any of you are hardware geeks and you haven't invested in an SPL meter then I thoroughly recommend it.  Setting your system to a reference loudness really helps you to understand loudness and dynamics and why they are very important issues.  Just be careful with your neighbours if you plan to playback film soundtracks at full reference level!

Are there any CDs that actually are mixed to the 83dB standard like film soundtracks are?  Are classical CDs?  I'd love to simply be able to turn off Replay Gain for a reference CD.

Reply #1
I never understood the obsession with "reference" volume levels. Me, I adjust the volume to sound clear and full and pleasing etc for whatever type of program happens to be playing. Usually that's pretty darn loud, but never ear-splitting.

--Ethan
I believe in Truth, Justice, and the Scientific Method

Reply #2
Well the point of a reference volume level in general is that you hear the music exactly with the dynamics that were intended.  Unfortunately the only thing that this is applicable to is film soundtracks because there's no equivalent to THX/Dolby for music, alas!

There are two problems I have with adjusting on a case by case basis: First, it's only possible with music that I am already familiar with, the music might start with a pianissimo (very quiet) section, causing me to over compensate with the volume, or with a fortissimo (very loud) section causing me to turn it down too much.  So I'm using Replay Gain to "look ahead" for me.  Second, I am aware that at these levels hearing damage becomes an issue, I know that an average of 83dB is nice and loud but safe for quite a long time.

Of course, the point of the K-system is not for listening at all, it is for mixing/mastering but I think it's a great system for listening too.  I can only dream of listening to a recording mixed at K-20 on a K-20 system, I suppose...  Who knows, maybe something like THX will happen for music, but since a lot of people have trouble even properly setting up stereo speakers (either due to space limitations, or stupidity) I doubt it, unless someone invents a way to make THX calibration etc. easy.

Reply #3
There are thousands of K-nn based masters out there. Bob Katz has a small list of his favourites
In many proper studios the K-standard is pretty widely used - and it's still gaining hard support.

Reply #4
There are two problems I have with adjusting on a case by case basis: First, it's only possible with music that I am already familiar with, the music might start with a pianissimo (very quiet) section, causing me to over compensate with the volume, or with a fortissimo (very loud) section causing me to turn it down too much.

That's a good point and I agree. My "reference" is to set the volume on my receiver to -30 when I start a movie or concert DVD, and I'll adjust it up to as much as -22 once things get going and I have a better idea of how loud the movie or music mix will become. Of course, "-30" means nothing to anyone but me with my particular setup!

--Ethan
I believe in Truth, Justice, and the Scientific Method

Reply #5
I have an SPL meter, but I haven't had it out in years, and I've never attempted to calibrate my home theater system.  The volume depends on what I'm watching/listening to, and how I'm feeling at the moment.  I don't know how loud I'm listening, but I rarely listen at "movie theater" levels. 

When I've got the TV on, I'm usually listening just loud enough to hear the dialog, and that's waaaay below "calibrated levels".  With music I'll "turn it up", but  really loud music (or loud dialog) doesn't "sound right" to me in a small room....  A live band sounds fine in a club or "dance hall", but I wouldn't want one in my living room!  (And, my neighbors wouldn't like it either.)