Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WinVC (Ogg tag editor for Windows) v0.9 released (Read 6612 times) previous topic - next topic

WinVC (Ogg tag editor for Windows) v0.9 released

Ross Levis has released WinVC v.09. An Ogg tag editor for Windows.

(Taken from the Vorbis mailing list)

I've released a much enhanced version of my Win32 GUI multi-file tag editor.  It has most of the features Peter suggested except I haven't implemented filename scanning/renaming as yet.  Here are the features/mods:

Individual tags may be copied to all loaded tracks (<> buttons).
Tags not defined in the program are now retained (except duplicate tags. See note).
Loads files faster than original version.
Remembers the last folder where files were opened.
Define up to 8 non-standard tags for quick data entry (on new Options form).
Added a Combobox for choosing tracks.
Added the following buttons:
Clear (for this track): Clear/Remove all defined tags for the currently selected track.
Clear (for all tracks): As above except works on all loaded tracks.
Delete (for this track): Clear/Remove all tags whether defined (in the program) or not.
Delete (for all tracks): As above except works on all loaded tracks. (i.e. Zaps them all).

Note: WinVC supports only one copy of a tag.  If 2 or more tags of the same name exist, the last one will be used/kept and the others deleted.

That's about it.  As I mentioned, I'll eventually add an advanced form to view/add/delete all tags and I'll be adding file scanning and renaming in the next week, hopefully.

Comments welcome.

http://www.StationPlaylist.com/WinVC.exe

Install the EXE in a folder of your choice.  Requires VorbisComment.exe in the same folder or in the PATH.

Ross.

Since he doesn't frequent these boards, should you have any comments you can find a way to contact him here:
http://www.xiph.org/archives/vorbis/0076.html

Reply #1
Hey YinYang. Thanks a lot for this info. An app like this is very welcome for us who copy cds to wav, with the intension of encoding to more than one format.

Reply #2
The program is very welcome - it allows batch processing of songs by an artist or on an album, so you can type the artist and album fields once and have them applied to all of the tracks.  Much nicer than doing each track at a time using the file info dialog box in winamp.  However, other than its batch capability, this tagging program isn't as flexible as winamp for tagging files, because it can't handle tags that aren't defined fields in the program.  It is noted that an advanced tag editor mode will be added in the future, but such isn't necessary to be able to get at other tags... in Winamp's "file info" dialog box, in the non-advanced tag editor mode for ogg vorbis, there is a box for "Misc. Tags" - something such as this could be incorporated into the tagger program being discussed here.  For example, I like to add tags "codec=ogg vorbis RC3" and "quality=4.99".

Finally, it would be nice if the tagger program could automatically generate tag info based on a variety of filename types.  Right now it seems to be only able to handle the "artist - trackname" format.  And I assume that it would handle the "trackname" format also, though I haven't tried that.  However, I typically name files in the format "artist - tracknumber - trackname" so the tagging program correctly generates the tag for artist, but names the track based on the latter two thirds of the filename (for example, the trackname "02 - The Watcher" will be generated from the filename "Dr. Dre - 02 - The Watcher".  Ideally, I could set up the program to generate tags for artist (Dr. Dre), tracknumber (02), and trackname (The Watcher).

Anyway, I'll report this at the proper place, but I figured its placement here may help to generate some discussion.
God kills a kitten every time you encode with CBR 320

Reply #3
Originally posted by timcupery
..However, other than its batch capability, this tagging program isn't as flexible as winamp for tagging files, because it can't handle tags that aren't defined fields in the program. 
...For example, I like to add tags "codec=ogg vorbis RC3" and "quality=4.99".

Look closer at the options. You have the ability to add up to 8 misc. tags for general purpose. For instance a "codec" and "quality" tag 
Finally, it would be nice if the tagger program could automatically generate tag info based on a variety of filename types.  Right now it seems to be only able to handle the "artist - trackname" format...

Coming, coming. The discussion is how to make this most convenient for the user. He's considering templates ala MPtagger I think. Atleast that's what I'm suggesting
....Anyway, I'll report this at the proper place, but I figured its placement here may help to generate some discussion.

Great. I'll send it on to Ross when/if some good ideas/points/suggestions are made

Reply #4
sorry, I didn't see the define-your-own-custom-tags option the first time around.  That helps a lot.  But it would still be nice if there were a box to show whatever miscelaneous tags there are, even if there isn't a box specifically for them.  Also, the WinVC 0.9 lacks the ability to show the whole comment if there is more than one line.  That is, if I typed multiple comments into the "comment" box using Winamp's tag editing function, and I hit "enter" between those comments, WinVC 0.9 will only display the first line, and the second (or third) isn't accessible by hitting any arrows or tab buttons or whatever.  Perhaps this would imply that I shouldn't put more than one line in the comment field...
But those are my real complaints.  Glad to know about the other stuff being worked on.
God kills a kitten every time you encode with CBR 320

Reply #5
Originally posted by timcupery
But it would still be nice if there were a box to show whatever miscelaneous tags there are, even if there isn't a box specifically for them. 

Should also be in the works. He is aware of the need for that.
Also, the WinVC 0.9 lacks the ability to show the whole comment if there is more than one line.  That is, if I typed multiple comments into the "comment" box using Winamp's tag editing function, and I hit "enter" between those comments, WinVC 0.9 will only display the first line, and the second (or third) isn't accessible by hitting any arrows or tab buttons or whatever.  Perhaps this would imply that I shouldn't put more than one line in the comment field...

Good observation. I will let him know of the problem.

Reply #7
Better a late announcement than never

WinWC v0.92 is out

This is what Ross had to say about the changes
Save is now available when no tags have been modified, so files may be renamed as per template.
Save templates: invalid filename characters in tags (| : /  ? * ") are converted to underscores '_' during save.
The Comment tag now supports multiple lines.
The 8 user defined single line tags have been replaced with 6 multi-line tags.  If you have more than 6 defined in the Options then please remove them.
An Advanced tab is now available to view/maintain all custom tags.
Note: the 'Copy To All' button on the Advanced tab copies the selected tag to all loaded tracks (as per the <> buttons).

Download http://www.StationPlaylist.com/WinVC.exe

Bug reports please.

As it seems more important things needs his attention, it an update might take a while.

Reply #9
Ross has released WinCV v.1.1

"History from v1.0
1.1  Support for OggInfo.exe added.  A new tab will show ogg information, including duration and bitrate, if OggInfo.exe is available.
1.1  File Save template: Track numbers will be padded with a leading '0' for tracks less than 10 when saving filenames.  The tracknumber tag itself will not be padded.
1.1  A memory violation could occur after saving and then attempting to pulldown the file combo box.
1.04 The program would stop responding when loading files with tag data exactly equal to multiples of 256 bytes.
1.03 The program would stop responding when loading files with tag data over 512 bytes.  It should now work correctly up to 64k bytes.
1.02 A serious problem with a buffer overflow on large tag data is now fixed.  It was causing the last tag to be filled with other tags data.
1.02 Folders may now be draged & droped from Windows Explorer onto the WinVC Icon.  This will recurse all subfolders and open all OGG files found.
1.01 Files opened using drag & drop were being saved in C:Windows, or other default folders depending on the version of Windows."

Homepage: http://winvc.stationplaylist.com/
Download: http://www.enternet.co.nz/users/ross/stati...winvc/WinVC.exe

Send bug reports, comments, suggestions to [a href='mailto:WinVC@StationPlaylist.com'][/a]

Reply #11
:jawdrop: Wow! He didn't mention booze this last post.

Reply #12
Originally posted by rjamorim
:jawdrop: Wow! He didn't mention booze this last post.

I didn't have time, because I'm celebrating the release of WinVorbis

"You have crossed the road! Champagne!" - Eddie Izzard on being an exchange student in the Champagne district (where they grow  champagne in big bottles that hangs on trees)

Reply #13
WinVorbis 1.03 is out.

Changes:
----
1.03 Well it turns out OggEnc does use Windows regional settings & requires a comma afterall (in those affected countries).
1.02 Added a case conversion routine which uppercases the first letter of every word. This is implemented in the templates with uppercase codes, eg. %A. A tool button will also convert the text in the focused text box.
1.02 Sorry, forgot to handle comma decimal separators as used in some countries.
----

Reply #14
anyway to use all lowercase throughout?

Reply #15
Retain comment tags when re-encoding! When loading WAV files, WinVorbis will read the tags of any existing Ogg files of the same name in the same folder.
Fixed non-standard tags not being converted to UTF-8.
UTF-8 support added! Tag names may not contain UTF-8 characters, only tag data.
Added a case conversion routine which uppercases the first letter of every word and lowercases the rest. It is implemented in the templates by using uppercase codes, eg. %A, and also by a tool button/menu item which works on the field with the focus.

Reply #16
Originally posted by nemur
anyway to use all lowercase throughout?

I'd suggest that you email him with your suggestion.

Reply #17
yup i emailed and he answered 

"There is now. v1.12 just released.  Look in the Options.

Cheers,
Ross."