Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: I want a plugin to create a .scobbler.log file (Read 3626 times) previous topic - next topic

I want a plugin to create a .scobbler.log file

I do most of my listening at work where I'm stuck behind a corporate firewall that blocks access to many sites.

Since I read about the .scrobbler.log format as used by rockbox, I was hoping that someone would come up with a foobar plugin to create a file in this format which I could put on a usb drive or mail to myself and submit when I got home.

(http://www.audioscrobbler.net/wiki/Portable_Player_Logging appears to be the definitive spec)

Is this something foo_audioscrobbler can be made to do, or maybe it's better to start with a different plugin?

Reply #1
I do most of my listening at work where I'm stuck behind a corporate firewall that blocks access to many sites.

Since I read about the .scrobbler.log format as used by rockbox, I was hoping that someone would come up with a foobar plugin to create a file in this format which I could put on a usb drive or mail to myself and submit when I got home.

(http://www.audioscrobbler.net/wiki/Portable_Player_Logging appears to be the definitive spec)

Is this something foo_audioscrobbler can be made to do, or maybe it's better to start with a different plugin?

AFAIK the standalone compontent does this (but not as a file).
It cashes all the files it can't submit in the config file for foobar.
But I can remember wrong.

Reply #2
AFAIK the standalone compontent does this (but not as a file).
It cashes all the files it can't submit in the config file for foobar.
But I can remember wrong.

Thanks for reminding me of this.  The data is stored in foobar2000.cfg in the middle of a godawful binary mess. 

I think I have the perl code to extract the data I need ... now i just need to either write the scrobbler.log (which will involve un-url-encoding the strings) or submitting it myself (which is a multi-step process).

I'm almost there ... although I'd still love to have a plugin to just do this for me.

Reply #3
Good going fcahoon .. Best of luck to you ... Same is the case with me here .. :| .. I hope you'll be able to write that plug in ..

Reply #4
Good going fcahoon .. Best of luck to you ... Same is the case with me here .. :| .. I hope you'll be able to write that plug in ..

It's not a plugin, but I wrote a hack that's getting my scrobbles submitted.  It's a perl program which reads the foobar2000.cfg file (which I copy to my usb drive when I leave work), extracts the scrobble data from the binary muck, and submits it using the protocol described at http://www.audioscrobbler.net/development/protocol/.

I'm hesitant to distribute it because, while it's a hack that's working for me
1) I'm really guessing at how to dissect the binary file and it might produce garbage for someone else
2) I don't have robust error checking in the code because I was just getting it working for me
3) I'm using the development client id (described in the above-linked spec) in my code, and as it says "Do not distribute code which uses the experimental identifier. "

I'm a Linux guy, who only uses Windows at work because I have to.  If you use Windows at home, here's something that will probably work and is much easier:

Have foobar2000 set up with the foo_scrobbler plugin both at home and at work. (Actually, all the plugins should probably match, so that the foobar2000.cfg files will be compatible on both machines.)

At work, you may want to put a line in your hosts file like this:
127.0.0.1            post.audioscrobbler. com
That will make foo_audioscrobbler's submission attempts actually go to your local machine and not generate possibly suspicious traffic on your employer's network.

When you first start your day at work, disable and re-enable scrobbling in preferences. This clears any cached scrobbles from the previous day.

When it's time to go home, copy your foobar2000.cfg to your usb drive, or mail it to yourself. (I think it's in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\foobar2000\.  You'll have to enable viewing of hidden folders to see the "Application Data" folder.)

When you get home, place the foobar2000.cfg in the same directory on your home machine.  Fire up foobar2000 and listen to a track.  When foobar goes to submit the track you're listening to, it will submit all the files cached in the foobar2000.cfg you copied from work.

As my 3-year-old son likes to say: Ta-DAAAAA!!!

Hope that helps.