Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_uie_explorer - like windows explorer (Read 347904 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_uie_explorer - like windows explorer

Reply #150
1) It's need msvcp71.dll.....

Yah, should have mentioned I already had that in place as well.

2) It should be only work in Unicode compatible OSs. (Win NT/2000/XP/2003)

OH!  Well that I didn't see mentioned anywhere, ooops.

Ok, try this ....(etc)

OK, I'll give that a spin tomorrow.  Thanks very much for the response.
Have any others out there taken this route?

Reply #151
1) It's need msvcp71.dll.....

Yah, should have mentioned I already had that in place as well.

It's msvcp71.dll.
Since this component is compiled with VC 7.1.

Reply #152
JackieKu, some suggestions.

If I run my mouse over the opened uie_explorer tab, its kind of stuttering. This is an older computer, an Intel P3/500/384MB and I think this is because the panel permanently watches the directories.

Suggestion one: Could you make refresh optional? This probably would perform better.

Maybe you could introduce a refresh button somewhere. Beside the Adress bar? Or maybe somewhere else, as some of us (me e.g.) do not need the adress bar andd it's pretty huge.

Suggestion two: Expand all/Collapse all buttons to expand/collapse the whole visible directory tree. In order to faster go through the tree it would be very helpful to collapse all at one time.

Suggestion three: Optional turn off of tool tips. They can be very annouying if they appear on any directory when you have long directory names...

Great plugin. I'm pretty much moving away from static playlists, very rarely using them now...

Reply #153
JackieKu, some suggestions.

If I run my mouse over the opened uie_explorer tab, its kind of stuttering. This is an older computer, an Intel P3/500/384MB and I think this is because the panel permanently watches the directories.

Suggestion one: Could you make refresh optional? This probably would perform better.

Maybe you could introduce a refresh button somewhere. Beside the Adress bar? Or maybe somewhere else, as some of us (me e.g.) do not need the adress bar andd it's pretty huge.

Suggestion two: Expand all/Collapse all buttons to expand/collapse the whole visible directory tree. In order to faster go through the tree it would be very helpful to collapse all at one time.

Suggestion three: Optional turn off of tool tips. They can be very annouying if they appear on any directory when you have long directory names...

Great plugin. I'm pretty much moving away from static playlists, very rarely using them now...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=322476"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

1) Oh, the program does not watches the directories, but it will refresh some items in some case. For example, when the user selects a node, expand a node, or collapse a node, then it would refreshes the children of this node. It only perform global refresh when the drags files or delete multiple files. All of these refresh operations is performed in threads with low priority, it works so good in my computer so far. I had planed to add 'Refresh' command, but I find that is not necessary it is performed in so many cases.

I have no idea to improve this part since I introduced the multi-thread model from version 0.04. I think I need some feedback for more users, because my computer is fast enough. (P4 2.4GHz w/ HT) However, you can use the older version instead if you do not interest in the new features in 0.04 series.

BTW, I will test on a Duron 800MHz computer to decide if I have to redesign this model.

2) I think you mean expand only one level, otherwise, it's so terrible. However, this operation would be very slow. It is not a good idea.

3) Ok, this is so easy, I will add the option soon.

Reply #154
JackieKu, about Expanding all levels you are right, this would be a performance monster. But the important feature would be to collapse ANY, this would make the workflow way easier...

About the performance problem with refreshing the tree: I am no more sure if it was really your plugin. Now I'm trying and trying, there's no problem here right now. Seems like another process made my mouse stutter...

Reply #155
fantastic plugin indeed...

now that i have it looking and working the way it should

can i also make a request that if i have a main music directory it only shows that directory and what ever is inside it if i want

ie like u have hide the other drives but only show one folder for example?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=303028"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I second this request.

I have a dozen folders on my E:\ drive and I'd like to hide all but E:\music.

(Either this, or please allow the favorite folders the same expanding/startup/etc functionality as the drive folders.)

Thanks again for a truly great plugin!

Reply #156
I second this request.

(Either this, or please allow the favorite folders the same expanding/startup/etc functionality as the drive folders.)

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=322785"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The select/expand by specify path did not support in favorites, but current version does.
Please place the favorites before the drives. (You can find this option in preferences window.)

Reply #157
I second this request.

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=322785"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The select/expand by specify path did not support in favorites, but current version does.
Please place the favorites before the drives. (You can find this option in preferences window.)
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=322804"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Oh, whoops! LOL

Thanks!

Reply #158
Hello everybody!

How can I get foobar to switch between the playlist, the playlist panel and the explorer tree panel when pressing "TAB"?
Right now it only switches between the playlist and the playlist panel.

No idea how to configure that... 

Thanks a lot in advance,
Styxx

Reply #159
The version 0.04.5 is released.

I encourage everyone update to this version since it has fixed many problems about thread safety.I think there are no new versions in the near future (unless the fb2k 0.9 final released. ).

@styxx
You should use foo_uie_tabs to switch the panels from tabs. This feature is not a part in foo_uie_explorer.

Reply #160
The version 0.04.5 is released.

I encourage everyone update to this version since it has fixed many problems about thread safety.I think there are no new versions in the near future (except the fb2k 0.9 final released. ).
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=325195"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Can't connect to ku.myftp.org

EDIT: OK. Fixed now. Thanks!
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

Reply #161
i dont know it is just me but its really slow

dont get me wrong i love this plug in, its just so slow, its take 5-10 sec to expand my Mymusic folder and its veryslow to startup foobar

i guess the plug in act like the real explorer, it reads everything, is it possible to make it read directories structure faster??????

great plug in, for small scale collection, too slow for my massive mp3 army, id rather stick with albumlist, atleast its fast
My Favorite Lame Preset

--alt-preset fast insane

Reply #162

dont get me wrong i love this plug in, its just so slow, its take 5-10 sec to expand my Mymusic folder and its veryslow to startup foobar

i guess the plug in act like the real explorer, it reads everything, is it possible to make it read directories structure faster??????

great plug in, for small scale collection, too slow for my massive mp3 army, id rather stick with albumlist, atleast its fast
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=325213"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, it would be very slow is there are so MANY files and directories. In such case, I recommand to use the playlist tree or albumlist instead. Both of them use the database in foobar2000, it is faster because the data were available. However, this compontent need to read the files and directories in the disk everytime. (since it doesn't cache anything.)

In my personal case, this componet (foo_uie_explorer) is fast enough. I have 69 folders in my music folder and each of them named with the artist's name. In those folders have a few folders and each of them named  with the title of album (i.e. I have one album a folder.). I have 411 folders and 3400 files in the music folder totally (and its subfolders). Because I don't put many files and folders (< 200) in the same folder, it does not take noticeable time to expand my music folders. (Especially in the versions >= 0.04, since they use threads to read the directories.)

I collect my music files with this structure, and I think it is quite clear. Therefore, I think I don't need to maintain another database to collect my music files. Another reason is I don't like to perform the synchronize operations. (Maybe someday I will move somefiles or rename some folders.) Last by the least, the directories in the disk can be recognized by any music player, but the foobar2000's database can only be used in foobar2000. So I developed this plugin for I and other users has the similar situation.

I think it is impossible to read the directories much faster without save the results and use them in the next time. (Like the playlist tree or the albumlist does.) However, this is not the principle of this plugin since such plugins were available.

Reply #163
man, have u heard of Advanced Mp3 Catalog Pro? (AKA AMC)

here u go http://www.wizetech.com/amc/index.shtml

imo one of best program to organize your music

it has almost all the basic funtions and plus it CAN update any folders

like when i add c:\mymusic\ to AMC, and inside mymusic i have metallica and inside metallica i have kill em all, i can update any of these folder.

i wonder if u can drive your plugin direction into insomething like this, would be so awesome!!!!!!!

just add your favorite music folder to your explorer panel, update em if u got new files, using some simple database....

anyway just my 2 cents

fooexplorer is great plug in buddy, im so sad my music folder got around 6000 albums and 100000 song
My Favorite Lame Preset

--alt-preset fast insane

Reply #164

like when i add c:\mymusic\ to AMC, and inside mymusic i have metallica and inside metallica i have kill em all, i can update any of these folder.

i wonder if u can drive your plugin direction into insomething like this, would be so awesome!!!!!!!

just add your favorite music folder to your explorer panel, update em if u got new files, using some simple database....

anyway just my 2 cents

fooexplorer is great plug in buddy, im so sad my music folder got around 6000 albums and 100000 song
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=325269"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I tried the AMC, and found nothing useful for me. First, since it does not support Unicode, I got '?', '?', and '?'.  Second, it creates its own database, if I let every application to create a database, how many databases would exist in my computer? And I should maintain each of them to keep the data up to date.

Tell me why I need implement the database functions, which well-implemented by other plugins. Why do you use foo_uie_explorer? Why don't you use the album list or playlist tree? They do the similar jobs with AMC.

There is no problem if I want to find some music files in my computer, since I use Windows Desktop Search to index them. In the future, if the WinFS is revealed, it might be another choice.

PS. Unicode compatibility is the most important ability of the music related programs for me, since I am not a English spoken person. I speaking Chinese (and use Chinese version of Windows) but the most songs I have are in Japanese.

Reply #165

anyway just my 2 cents

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=325269"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I tried the AMC, and found nothing useful for me. First, since it does not support Unicode, I got '?', '?', and '?'.  Second, it creates its own database, if I let every application to create a database, how many databases would exist in my computer? And I should maintain each of them to keep the data up to date.

Tell me why I need implement the database functions, which well-implemented by other plugins. Why do you use foo_uie_explorer? Why don't you use the album list or playlist tree? They do the similar jobs with AMC.

There is no problem if I want to find some music files in my computer, since I use Windows Desktop Search to index them. In the future, if the WinFS is revealed, it might be another choice.

PS. Unicode compatibility is the most important ability of the music related programs for me, since I am not a English spoken person. I speaking Chinese (and use Chinese version of Windows) but the most songs I have are in Japanese.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=325321"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i got what u saying, i see

albumlist is kinda slow and it doest have scan funtion and it add everything i play with foobar into database, sometime it adds stuffs i dont wanna put in database

and its too slow for masscale mp3 collection
My Favorite Lame Preset

--alt-preset fast insane

Reply #166

I had the same problem with it and it's not normal! Now i tried an older release foo_uie_explorer v0.0.3b and all is running fast again, but with more albums in my foo-directory, than before.
You can try it out: Download foo_uie_explorer v0.0.3b

((((( Strictly4me )))))

Reply #167
If you want to experiment with old versions, JackieKu has them all up here.
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

Reply #168
Ok, thanks for this link! I tried it out now ... foo_uie_explorer_0.03.4.zip from 03-Aug-2005 18:45 49K ... was the last fast one! All above this one, are slow for me!

((((( Strictly4me )))))

Reply #169
Ok, thanks for this link! I tried it out now ... foo_uie_explorer_0.03.4.zip from 03-Aug-2005 18:45 49K ... was the last fast one! All above this one, are slow for me!

((((( Strictly4me )))))
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=326035"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The mechanism of construction the tree in the version under 0.4 and 0.4+ has a significant difference. That is the older one did not prepare full content of the nodes which are not expanded. Thus when a user expand the nodes it will take a little time (this may  take much time if there are many files and folders in the node/folder)  to scan the content of the node. By contrast, the newer version inserts the full content of the nodes which are visible. If the user expand a node, it would be expanded 'immediately' since the content of the node is ready. At the same time, it creates some threads to update the nodes under the node which the user expanded. So you will see the '+' buttons appear one by one. For my personal usage, the new mechanism is more comfortable. It is true that the new mechanism takes more system resource, but it isn't really slower than the old one.

Reply #170
How is it possible to get explorer_tree go to now playing song each time another song starts ?

Reply #171
just signed up to thank you for this plugin. very nice.

only one future request: the ability to specify extra filetypes to show, apart from all filetypes currently associated to Foobar2000. For example, I want to show all normally associated filetypes in the explorer window, but i als would like to show filetypes not currently associated with foobar, but which should be playable in foobar, like rar and zip files. i don't want to fill in all filetypes which are normally associated to foobar, on top of the extra filetypes i want to play.

i hope you get the point, it's getting late here so it might be a little confusing

Reply #172
Feature request.

Is it possible to have an option to hide the file extensions, please?

And also is it possible to avoid the full screen when you use "open in explorer"?

Thanks.

Reply #173
I have a problem with the command line parser. I want to set both windows, left and right, from Total Commander.

If I use the following command line, TC sets both correctly. Left and right window will be set to the ":D" directory:

/L=:D /R=:D

But if I set

/L=:D /R=M:\Musik\

as Parameter, TC should set the right window as defined. But it does behave as if /R= has not been set.

I assume theres maybe some parsing error, maybe a misinterpretation about the ":" ?

Reply #174
This feels like a strange question... Columns UI 0.1.2 & foo_uie_explorer is in the components dir but how do I access it from within Foobar2000. Can not find via use interface module.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2021