Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is there a way to emulate index marks on a CD track with a digital file (Read 1334 times) previous topic - next topic

Is there a way to emulate index marks on a CD track with a digital file

Last weeks I purchases the album 2112 by Rush on CD and ripped it.  The title track is about 20 minutes long as has 7 indexes (index points?  Not sure the correct term here) which I hop to with a push of my CD players remote.  When I rip the CD, I just get one large track.

Noe, I understand why using Index’s on a CD was abandoned.  It really didn’t get you anything over just using tracks with gapless playback.  But it would still be nice to have a digital player equivalent to this feature.

So, my first thought was to use some kind of bookmarking feature and I could hop between bookmarks, but that’s not “universal.”  If I change software, the bookmarks won’t work.

My other thought was to find ripping software that might be able to rip CDs and create files based on index marks.  But my Google skills are failing to turn anything up.  I guess I could edit the file manually in audacity, but I would rather have some automated way of doing it.

Re: Is there a way to emulate index marks on a CD track with a digital file

Reply #1
1) It's possible (and no harder than a "regular" CUE support) to implement in a player, probably no one just did it yet.

2) Automatically splitting is also easily doable, even if there's no existing software (at least, if it's in FLAC; FLAC command line decoder has options to seek and stop at any sample exactly, and writing a script to do that is therefore easy)

Code: [Select]
flac -h
--skip={#|mm:ss.ss}      Skip the given initial samples for each input
--until={#|[+|-]mm:ss.ss}  Stop at the given sample for each input file

with 2nd option, if the indexes are not in silent places, you might also want to fine-tune splitting points to minimize clicks when starting/ending at that point (it's less annoying if the split is aligned to a zero crossing, but there are also other things to consider), and this is harder to automate (and probably impossible in general). I've written some code which attempts that, but it's nowhere near ideal and in certain situations it fails to produce a good result.
however it's not so necessary if the player could be smart about adding fade in/fade out for out-of-order track changes only when that would be necessary.
a fan of AutoEq + Meier Crossfeed

Reply #2
Thanks!  Something to experiment with.

Reply #3
My other thought was to find ripping software that might be able to rip CDs and create files based on index marks.  But my Google skills are failing to turn anything up.
EAC can rip CDs and create files based on index marks

Reply #4
I'll have to check that out.  I do my ripping on Linux these days using whipper.  But I have a Windows computer I can try this with.