Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to record internet radio streams with Foobar2000 (Read 32829 times) previous topic - next topic

How to record internet radio streams with Foobar2000

1. Get Streamripper (win32 console)
2. Get foo_run

After extracting streamripper somewhere and copying foo_run into the components folder, in Foobar2k's preferences under "Tools" click "Run services".
Add a service, relabel it to "Streamripper". Then from the "Path:" button search for your streamripper.exe.
In the window below add this after your streamripper-path:
Code: [Select]
 %path% -r -z -u FreeAmp/2.x -d RECORD

So the whole thing might look like this:

Now hit the [Modify] button and [Save all] for good measure.
When you listen to a stream now, rightclick it, choose [Run->Streamripper].
Your recordings will show up in a folder named "RECORD" in your Foobar2000 folder.

[EDIT]
- Streamripper relays the stream with this setup so you can listen to it while recording. To catch it, add location "127.0.0.1:8000" (localhost) in FB2K.
- Streamripper will cut the stream in songs, if such information is available. [/EDIT]

-----------------------------------
I made this quick guide after searching myself quite some time for information how to do this. Neptune and DreamTheaterFan in #foobar2000 were a great help with figuring this out. Once I had it running it occured to me that maybe I'm not the only person looking for information about this.

If you have tips to add or maybe there already was a guide like this before or there's an even simpler solution, then please comment. I am new to Foobar2000 and might have missed things.

Reply #1
Many thanks! 

There are other ways, but it is always good to have a lot of tools in the toolbox, yes?

Reply #4
Thanks this is something that I really want to be able to do, except I cant even find a good site with radio streams actually listed. Anyone know of any? (I'm in UK if that makes a difference)

Thanks.

Reply #5
absolute paths didn't work for me. i used this:

..\streamripper\streamripper %_path% -r -z -t -s -d "c:\Users\my_username\Documents\streamripper"

as streamripper by default installs to %PROGRAMFILES(X86)%\Streamripper.

Reply #6
absolute paths didn't work for me. i used this:

..\streamripper\streamripper %_path% -r -z -t -s -d "c:\Users\my_username\Documents\streamripper"

as streamripper by default installs to %PROGRAMFILES(X86)%\Streamripper.

Worked great, thx kolya and viktor

Reply #7
Also if you use CUI, you can make button, and check does stream is played or not.

If you play mp3(or other format) - then when you click on button > it runs ''convert''.
If you play stream > it runs ''streamripper''.(i think this is useful).
Script should looks like this:

$puts(main.dir,%ps_user_profile_path%\)

$if(%length%,$imagebutton(28,4,24,20,$get(main.dir)/@USER/Buttons/streamripper0.png,$get(main.dir)/@USER/Buttons/streamripper1.png,CONTEXT:Convert/Record,REFRESH),$imagebutton(28,4,24,20,$get(main.dir)/@USER/Buttons/streamripper0.png,$get(main.dir)/@USER/Buttons/streamripper1.png,CONTEXT:Run service/Streamripper,REFRESH))

This is what i use.

Reply #8
What I'm I doing wrong?
1.Downloaded the Streamripper and extract the installer with UniExtract
2.Place the files in Foobar\user-components\Streamripper
3.Download and installed foo_run
4.Start Foobar and create new service named "Streamripper"
5.Add the path to the streamripper.exe(the console version) and added
-r -z -u FreeAmp/2.x -d "the destination path" after it.

When I start the radio,right click on it and choose Streamripper from Run Service,nothing happens...nothing is saved to the destination directory and nothing is started as process in task manager

I used Streamripper before with Winnamp and it was working fine.

Reply #9
What I'm I doing wrong?
1.Downloaded the Streamripper and extract the installer with UniExtract
2.Place the files in Foobar\user-components\Streamripper
3.Download and installed foo_run
4.Start Foobar and create new service named "Streamripper"
5.Add the path to the streamripper.exe(the console version) and added
-r -z -u FreeAmp/2.x -d "the destination path" after it.

When I start the radio,right click on it and choose Streamripper from Run Service,nothing happens...nothing is saved to the destination directory and nothing is started as process in task manager

I used Streamripper before with Winnamp and it was working fine.

If you have spaces in path: Foobar2000\Some Folder Name\streamripper.exe

It should be: "Foobar2000\Some Folder Name\streamripper.exe,,

Reply #10
I added them but now the console appear for less than seconds and then disappear.

"full path to streamripper.exe" -r -z -u FreeAmp/2.x -d "output directory"
I'm on WinXP so it's not UAC related problem

When I run the command directly in CMD,I get
*** The first parameter MUST be the URL
If I add the url after streamripper.exe" and run again it again in CMD,then it start recording but not if I run it from foobar...it's like the links is not added to the command line or there is some other reason

"streamripper.exe path" URL -r -z -u FreeAmp/2.x -d "output"

Edit:

"streamripper.exe path" %_path% -r -z -u FreeAmp/2.x -d "output"

Reply #11
I added them but now the console appear for less than seconds and then disappear.

If I add the url after streamripper.exe" and run again it again in CMD,then it start recording but not if I run it from foobar...it's like the links is not added to the command line or there is some other reason

Edit:

Try cmd /k "streamripper.exe path" %_path% -r -z -u FreeAmp/2.x -d "output"

in your Run Service Command

Reply #12

Edit:

No, you did not added quote in right way.
You should add quote only in first path. Second path is one that streamripper use and there qouote not needed.

Write in this way:
(this is full working parameter)

"C:\Program Files\foobar2000 xch4\@USER\streamripper\streamripper.exe" %path% -s -t -i -d C:\Users\mire\Desktop\stream

Reply #13
I already make it work(at the time of my previous post)but I didn't really see much point of foo_run(he is just replacing  %path% with the link and then run streamripper the same way I can run it from cmd).
So I just made an autohotkey script to set the output path,the radio link and then start the recording.

Btw yesterday I was recording from one radio and for some reason(maybe the name of the folder which was created),when I stop recording,when I tried to renamed the folder,no matter what I tried,I wasn't able to rename it(had to kill the explorer to escape for the error message).
In the end I had to move all of the files out of the folder and delete with Unlocker(the folder was not used by any process)

Re: How to record internet radio streams with Foobar2000

Reply #16
Just a note to say that this original image falls into the misconception that one must use a "relay server" (created by the -r switch) to be able to record the audible stream locally, this is NOT the case.  The following Run Services "Path" box code continues to work fine to record streams being played in Foobar v2 x64 as well as legacy versions:
"C:\Streamripper\streamripper.exe" %path% -z -t -u FreeAmp/2.x -d C:\Streams
Alter local paths to fit yours.  The complete options list (more complete than most sources) exists in the "README" from the Streamripper installation, which is attached.