Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Deciding if Sound Card or Speakers are Faulty (Read 2216 times) previous topic - next topic

Deciding if Sound Card or Speakers are Faulty

Hi, I've recently installed a new Soundblaster sound card after ditching my Auznetch card.  And just now, my Logitech 2.1 Z..?? speakers are humming and intermittently spitting out loud busts of crackling and static.  I'm no electronics buff, but logically I'm thinking the speakers are on the way out or aren't up to the task of the Soundblaster.  I just thought I'd ask for some feedback. Cheers.

Reply #1
Do you have any other music sources?
A battery powered unit would be best.
Any other speakers?

Trouble shooting is mostly simplifying and substituting.
Kevin Graf :: aka Speedskater

Reply #2
HI Speedskater.  Of course.  Thanks.  I'll track down another set of speakers and give that a go.  Cheers.

Reply #3
Hi, I've recently installed a new Soundblaster sound card after ditching my Auznetch card.  And just now, my Logitech 2.1 Z..?? speakers are humming and intermittently spitting out loud busts of crackling and static.  I'm no electronics buff, but logically I'm thinking the speakers are on the way out or aren't up to the task of the Soundblaster.  I just thought I'd ask for some feedback. Cheers.

The relevant question would be: How does a new audio interface break a set of speakers that used to be apparently working well.

One answer is that the plug or cord for the old speaker was either holding on by its teeth, or was corroded or broken and the simple change over procedure led to the observed symptoms.

Among other things, this may mean that the old speakers can be fixed by cleaning up the  signal plug or cord.