Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: fb2k is unable to play AIFF files that have ANNO chunk at end (Read 6958 times) previous topic - next topic

fb2k is unable to play AIFF files that have ANNO chunk at end

I'm having trouble playing some AIFF files (getting the typical "Unable to open item for playback (Unsupported format or corrupted file)" message from the console). From the little research I did, I think it has to do with the "ANNO" chunk at the very end of these files.

I'm not too familiar with the AIFF specs, but if it changes anything, here's what the header of one of the files looks like:

Code: [Select]
FORM   46 4F 52 4D
..·.   00 0F B7 03
AIFF   41 49 46 46
COMM   43 4F 4D 4D
....   00 00 00 12
....   00 02 00 03
ì...   EC 1C 00 10
@.¬D   40 0E AC 44
....   00 00 00 00
..SS   00 00 53 53
ND..   4E 44 00 0F
°x..   B0 78 00 00
....   00 00 00 00
..     00 00

The ANNO chunk looks like this:

Code: [Select]
ANNO   41 4E 4E 4F
....   00 00 00 17
http   68 74 74 70
://w   3A 2F 2F 77
ww.s   77 77 2E 73
ampl   61 6D 70 6C
es4.   65 73 34 2E
com    63 6F 6D

If I remove the ANNO chunk completely, or just add bytes to it, the file plays. The original files all play in most / all other software (Winamp, Adobe Audition, iZotope RX2..), so I think this has to do with foobar2000.

Anyway I hope I provided as much information as may be needed, and that you can solve this.. eventually!

I am on Windows XP. I've tried opening them in foobar2000 versions v1.1.16, v1.2 and v1.2.2 (v1.1.16 and v1.2 as portable versions, without any added components or anything).

Reply #1
I am having the same problem with AIF files not playing and getting same message.  I tried 1.2.2 and 1.2.3.  I had an older version (until ssd died) where everything played fine.  I wish I remembered the version that worked.  Is there a source for older versions to download?

Thanks

Reply #2
I am having the same problem with AIF files not playing and getting same message.  I tried 1.2.2 and 1.2.3.  I had an older version (until ssd died) where everything played fine.  I wish I remembered the version that worked.  Is there a source for older versions to download?

Thanks

Problem solved by rolling back to version 1.1.15!   
I found it in a folder on one of my old drives.  I never found a source online for legacy versions.

Reply #3
Thanks for the report. A short sample of such file would be helpful so this can be fixed for the next update.

(hint: uploads forum).
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #4
I got something to add in case of errors in AIFF files. When I test my AIFFs from Beatport in File Integrity Verifier, I got result "File decoded with minor problems: Extra garbage at the end of file" and number - mostly between 5000 and 9000 bytes. File plays normally, it can be transcoded to any format without glitches in resulting audio, but that "extra garbage" warning is always reported while transcoding. AIFFs from Beatport are tagged - they contain metadata and cover art. May it be connected with this?

Example:

Text from window displayed after encoding:
"1 out of 1 tracks converted with minor problems.

Source: "M:\_Waves\Beatport\177523_Tormented_Original_Mix.aiff"
  Extra garbage at the end, 7422 bytes
  Track converted with minor problems."

From console:
"Opening track for playback: "M:\_Waves\Beatport\177523_Tormented_Original_Mix.aiff"
Wave cache: finished analysis of "M:\_Waves\Beatport\177523_Tormented_Original_Mix.aiff"
Audioscrobbler: Skipping track due to missing artist or title info.
CLI encoder: flac.exe
Destination file: C:\Users\Epic\Desktop\– 177523_Tormented_Original_Mix.flac
Encoder stream format: 44100Hz / 2ch / 16bps
Command line: "C:\Program Files (x86)\foobar2000\encoders\flac.exe" -s --ignore-chunk-sizes -8 - -o "temp-6B7E703A491B7254D6FD0AEDCCA08DE9.flac"
Working folder: C:\Users\Epic\Desktop\
Encoder process still running, waiting...
Encoder process terminated cleanly.
Track converted with minor problems.
Total encoding time: 0:07.609, 54.36x realtime"

Reply #5
Extra garbage means the file contained additional unexpected data past the indicated IFF file size. The software that created or tagged it was doing it wrong.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #6
OK, I'll try to re-tag it with iTunes, or dbpoweramp shell extension. And how about tagging AIFFs with foobar? Is planned to add support for this functionality in future?

Reply #7
I've been out of the loop on this thread.. Well anyway, it turns out the problem remains for these AIFF files I tried to play before. Although, now I don't get the "Unable to open item for playback (Unsupported format or corrupted file)" notice from the console anymore. In fact, nothing happens now. It doesn't even show up in the playlist. The same workarounds (adding bytes/removing the ANNO chunk) still does work as well. And as with seehear's case, v1.1.15 doesn't have any problems playing these files.

Here's one of the AIFF files (not altered in any way).

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....ost&id=7529

Reply #8
File not found...

Reply #9
Normal users can only post attachments in the fb2k uploads and main uploads forums. You must actually make a post in either of those forums for the attachment to work.

Reply #10
Yeah I noticed it went away, meant to reply, but forgot.. and stuff. Can I really post this in the upload section though? I basically only see component contributions so far.

Well in the meantime here it is. I hope hosting it elsewhere doesn't harm anyone..
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/48454461/aud/slb6.aiff

Reply #11
Incomplete or malformed chunk encountered at 527600 bytes
could not enumerate tracks (Unsupported format or corrupted file) on:
C:\Users\    \Desktop\slb6.aiff

LOL...

Reply #12
Yes, offset 527600 is where the ANNO chunk is located... If most other software can decode it--and even previous foobar2000 versions--why shouldn't the current versions?

Reply #13
Nisto, Peter has released foobar2000 v1.2.7 beta 1 on 2013-06-02. Excerpt from the change log:

WAV & AIFF handling compatibility has been again improved.

Perhaps you want to try it.
This is HA. Not the Jerry Springer Show.

Reply #14
Yeah, it seems to work in the 1.2.7 beta, nice.