Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC v1.6 crashes on newly installed Win10 system - works OK on other (Read 1977 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC v1.6 crashes on newly installed Win10 system - works OK on other

Since I had upgraded (well, kinda had to...) my desktop system from Win8.1 to Win10 (22H2 - freash installation) I found that EAC crashes frequently.
In my search for an answer I ran across this thread which states "EAC under Windows 10 has a history of problems with Explorer plug-ins/extensions.  This manifests as EAC crashing when it tries to bring up a file save dialog. "
I could verify that this is exactly what happens: As soon as I click the Broswe button in settings->folder, EAC crashes. I could possibly avoid this by specifying a fixed path (which I normally use anyway), but then it hits me later down the road: I usually want to store a log file after ripping is finished, and since there is no default location to be set up for log files, the dialog fires up a browser window (rather: tries to) and - crash!
Due to the hint about in the thread "This could be triggered at any time by installing a new software package that registers as an Explorer plugin" I uninstalled some programs that I would imagine could "register as a an Explorer plugin": Clover, TeraCopy, Windows PowerToys, FreeCommander. But no change in behavior of EAC (of course with frequent reboots between the de/new installations).
A log of Windows reliability monitor is attached. Logs of different crashes only differ in the two characters after "PCH_" in the line "Ausnahmeoffset" - everything is unchanged.

Now the odd thing is that I have a Laptop (pretty ancient, but has a DVD drive built-in) , also with Win10 (but with v21H2), latest patches and all the aforementioned potentially critical programs installed - and there EAC 1.6 runs like a charm. No crashes when opening a Browse dialog.

Does anyone have an idea how I could possible narrow down the root cause of the crash? Any diagnostics that would help me identify the culprit? Or workaround to get EAC up and running stable again?
So far I saw no mentioning of this problem happening with lots of other users, so I am hoping it's a simple thing to fix this.

Re: EAC v1.6 crashes on newly installed Win10 system - works OK on other

Reply #1
Try running it from non system paths like your user folder. I think
you can even install it there like %localappdata%\eac    ..  etc

Reply #2
Interesting approach... However since running EAC as admin also didn't avoid the crash, I wouldn't expect that installation to a user-path would make any difference . And so it was.
BTW Just for the fun of it I installed EAC on another Win10 Laptop (useless, because without DVD drive) and it opened the Browse dialog just fine. Note: During this installation I had to also install .NET Framework 3.5 ("including 2.0 and 3.0"), just as I had to for my installation on the desktop.

Reply #3
Just to close this thread:
a couple of (win10) updates later - about a month a go  I tried again and EAC ran again as if nothing had happened.
So it may have been a glitch in system dependencies ...

Reply #4
some months later: the problem is back - EAC crashes as soon as I try to open a file browser, eg in EAC settings (F9) / folder or Compression settings (F11) / external compression / browse
The system is still Win10 Home, but now 22H2 Build 19045.3324.
Re-installation of EAC didn't help.

Can anyone else help?

Reply #6
Thanks a lot @d4k0 for pointing me into the right direction!
Indeed I have Cryptomator installed, and I made the following observations:
- Uninstalled Cryptomator but (after reboot) EAC still crashed
- Searched for WinFsp and found C:\Program Files (x86)\WinFsp still existing - so it didn't get uninstalled with Cryptomator
- Renamed C:\Program Files (x86)\WinFsp to C:\Program Files (x86)\xxWinFsp and EAC didn't crash any more
- Re-installed Cryptomator (v1.10), expecting it would also install a new WinFsp if this was a requirement - but it didn't
- With "hidden" (= renamed) WinFsp, CM still works OK
- EAC shows a bit of an odd behavior after opening the browse dialog (hourglass for a while), but you can close the dialog, a changed path is accepted and EAC doesn't crash.
- As soon as I however "unhide" the WinFsp folder, EAC crashes.

So for me the trick of "hiding" the WinFsp folder is good enough for the moment, wehnever I need to run EAC (infrequently).
After looking into the batch file and found no RegKey of "HKLM\SOFTWARE\WinFsp" in my installation, I wondered if the batch file would make sense, but if I run into more problems I will certainly try it.