Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Smilies are likely a copyvio (Read 7328 times) previous topic - next topic

Smilies are likely a copyvio

They have no license tag, and I doubt IPB lets us use them for other purposes. I'm going to replace them with GFDL ones soon if that's ok with everyone else.
err... i'm not using windows any more ;)

Reply #2
No problem with me either, I like text-smilies a lot more than those graphical monsters ;)
who needs smileys in a wiki anyway..

Reply #3
Can we have .svg as an approved image format? It is on Wikipedia and the smilies I'm trying to upload are in that format...
err... i'm not using windows any more ;)

Reply #4
I believe that can be done but why not use png? svg is usually quite large compared to png. Perhaps I am wrong?

Reply #5
svg are vector graphics that can be written as plain text, and therefor I'd guess it's smaller than png,
but the problem is that afaik only the newest opera knows svg without plug-ins.

png is more wide-spread, but there are afaik still some problems with interpreting transparency correctly,
which shouldn't be a problem unless you want to make half-transparent smileys.

gif is more wide-spread than png, but afaik proprietary, so there might be license-issues (dunno),
size is similar (maybe gif is a bit larger).

I'd say, go with png

Edit: text formating

Reply #6
svg are vector graphics that can be written as plain text, and therefor I'd guess it's smaller than png,
but the problem is that afaik only the newest opera knows svg without plug-ins.
Whether an SVG is smaller or larger than a PNG depends on the resolution. SVGs are vector, and don't get larger with resolution, whereas PNG's increase in filesize with the square of their linear dimensions (more or less). Because the smilies dimensions are small, PNGs are likely to be smaller in filesize. The bonus with SVG is that if you write your CSS well your site can scale beautifully with resolution

As for the GIF patent issue - it's pretty much passed by now. For all practical purposes GIFs can now be freely used. The bonus with GIF is that it supports animation (which is annoying, but the blinky type smilies need it).

Reply #7
MediaWiki renders SVG as PNG.

What's shown at Wikipedia are rendered PNG images, not plain SVG images.

You can adjust the size of SVG images, for example like [[Image:example.svg|300px]] or [[Image:example.svg|400px]], but that's about it.

So we don't really need SVG smilies.

Reply #9
Personally I'd would for svg, but unfortunately Microsoft doesn't, as third party software are needed to show svg-graphics. I like vector and the way it can be scaled - may be a bit tough for smiley-use and (depending on the detail-level) I'm almost sure they would end up larger than bitmaps that small.

But definately a GO from me
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

Reply #10
I'm all for replacing the smilies... sorry it was a quick hack from me...

But the replacement smilies are slightly larger; could you rescale it so that it's as big as the copyvio' ones?

And a suggestion: Perhaps put the smilies in templates so that we don't need to do [[Image:Smilie-whatever.png]] but just {{smile:)}} {{smile:(}} {{smile:D}} and so on... hmm, is it allowed to have a colon in a template's name?

Reply #11
Do you have a sample of the new smileys?
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

Reply #12
See my user page (it's in my sig), then go to the discussion page for a sampling of the new smileys.

I'd rather not resize the .png's but if they come from .svg's, resize them and convert to .png's.

Reply #13
See my user page (it's in my sig), then go to the discussion page for a sampling of the new smileys.

I'd rather not resize the .png's but if they come from .svg's, resize them and convert to .png's.

Well, I think they look quite good       
Reason is immortal, all else mortal
- Pythagoras