Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ETN.fm using HE-AAC at 96kbits... (Read 6050 times) previous topic - next topic

ETN.fm using HE-AAC at 96kbits...

ETN.fm (a good and popular dance radio station), have just started up a new channel called ETN3. They've decided to use AAC+ to stream at 24kbits and a hi-quality one at 96kbits. Am I being stupid because I was under the impression that SBR is pretty much useless at bitrates over 48kbits.

To me, it sounds a bit tinny and slightly fake. I've tried telling the admins of the site, and they replied:
AAC+ 96 = similair to 192 mp3 so that is why it rocks. AOL is gonna switch all streams to AAC+ eventually, so this codec is the future. It sounds really good at this bitrate, very layered and you feel like you're in something.

You can have a listen to it here.

[EDIT : Spelling ]

Reply #1
I think the maximum bitrate was 80kbps. Beyond that, you get worse results than with LC-AAC.

Reply #2
AAC+ 96 = similair to 192 mp3

I seriously doubt that that is possible. As far as I know, AAC+/HE-AAC can deliver improved perceptual quality at low bitrates - when bandwidth is limited and quality must be sacrificed - but has never been claimed to be transparent. Therefore, I doubt it can approach high levels of quality, as should be expected from a good (and not problematic) 192kbps MP3 encode.

so that is why it rocks

I love these really professional ways of stating and substantiating opinions.

It sounds really good at this bitrate, very layered and you feel like you're in something.

Of course...

Reply #3
This is really sad on many levels, not the least of which is that the use of HE-AAC at such a high bitrate is questionable. Unless they're doing 5.1 streams, which doesn't seem to be the case.

Reply #4
Seems they just extrapolated things too much.

As we know, SBR is not adaptive (as in being used only if needed). It is used always, whatever the bitrate. The stream sounds ok, but probably it would sound just as well at 64 or so.

I've seen another station using HE-AAC at 80kbits. Probably what these stations look is the bandwidth. an LC-AAC stream at 96 has a lowpass filter around 15~16Khz, while SBR usually fills the complete bandwidth.

Other than that, the comparison with 192kbps mp3 is way out of place.

Reply #5
Threre were statements that SBR was impoved the last time.  Most probably at 80 kbit/s SBR is already slighltly better than LC. Some samples can be encoded  better at 96 kbit/s SBR. But  mostly at 96 kbit/s and higher LC will be better.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....topic=40022&hl=
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....ndpost&p=352418

If they want maximum quality at 96 kbit/s good reason to use Vorbis. But it still won't have the same quality as MP3 Lame 192 kbit/s

Reply #6
Threre were statements that SBR was impoved the last time.  Most probably at 80 kbit/s SBR is already slighltly better than LC. Some samples can be encoded  better at 96 kbit/s SBR. But  mostly at 96 kbit/s and higher LC will be better.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....topic=40022&hl=
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....ndpost&p=352418

Huu, the first thread is about IS, which has nothing to do with SBR. The second one is about downsampled SBR, which again is something different (and not recommended for now).

If they want maximum quality at 96 kbit/s good reason to use Vorbis.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=368614"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Where's your proof for _that_ claim?

Reply #7
That  topic is certainly about IS. But if you will read  that  you will find some words about sbr and abx test.  I didn't say nothing without proof it (at least I mentioned I've done some internal ABX tests). 

I also ABXed  LC-AAC and OGG at 96 kbit/s and the result were  more or less the same as in previous  Guru's tests at 80 and 128 kbit/s. And Ogg was higher ranked than itunes AAC.
Of course  You, Garf  and another Nero's developres preparing a new version of AAC 5.0. And when it will be done it will be necesary do a new ABX test.

Reply #8
I've recommended Vorbis to them, but apparently they're using AOL servers and only Shoutcast is installed on them (funnily enough). It's a shame, really because Vorbis hasn't really took off in the streaming department...

Reply #10
They are broadcasting right now HE-AAC(v1) at 128kbps
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=369723"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

At least it sounds decent unlike basicly all 128 kbps mp3 streams.

Reply #11
,Mar 6 2006, 10:22 PM]They are broadcasting right now HE-AAC(v1) at 128kbps
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=369723"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

At least it sounds decent unlike basicly all 128 kbps mp3 streams.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=369724"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

LC-AAC 128kbps would be a better choice anyway. 128kbps HE-AAC is just ... retarded?
myspace.com/borgei - last.fm/user/borgei

Reply #12
Update:

It is a 32kbps stream now.