Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Mp3 setting, command: -q (Read 14570 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Mp3 setting, command: -q

Reply #25
Both, Exact Audio Copy and EZ CD Audio Converter, if u set CBR and Stereo mode, allways use the following command by default:   -m s -V 4 -q 0 -lowpass 20.5.

But, for some reason using -q 0 i listen that it´s sound worse than -q 9. And SPEK shows the samething too, with more blues and greens colours´s spectre up to the edge of 20.5 KHz (default Lame's threshold).

IMO, if u don´t set that lowpass filter... all acutes frecuencies sound too much sharpen. Try to compare it with two mp3 and try to listen it yourself.

Reply #26
You are using the wrong tool to know what LAME has done.
The tool you use is telling you what values are written in the header of LAME, and doesn't really represent the actual commandline settings.
That's why you've been told that -V 4 is simply a default setting but which isn't being used.  The lowpass is also not a setting, but in this case it is the lowpass that CBR 320 is using.

On a side note, using -V x -b 320 you would be telling LAME to encode in VBR, but that the minimum bitrate to use is -b 320 (And so, generating also a 320 CBR file).

I am not adding more information about the -q setting because it has been described before.  Also, -q 1 and -q 0 haven't received as much testing as the default setting -q 3, so it could happen that it has some bug that -q 3 doesn't.

-q 9 is simply disabling tools, so either you accept that the most used setting has always been buggy, or -q 9 has less capabilities to have a higher quality.

Reply #27
You are using the wrong tool to know what LAME has done.
The tool you use is telling you what values are written in the header of LAME, and doesn't really represent the actual commandline settings.
That's why you've been told that -V 4 is simply a default setting but which isn't being used.  The lowpass is also not a setting, but in this case it is the lowpass that CBR 320 is using.

On a side note, using -V x -b 320 you would be telling LAME to encode in VBR, but that the minimum bitrate to use is -b 320 (And so, generating also a 320 CBR file).

I am not adding more information about the -q setting because it has been described before.  Also, -q 1 and -q 0 haven't received as much testing as the default setting -q 3, so it could happen that it has some bug that -q 3 doesn't.

-q 9 is simply disabling tools, so either you accept that the most used setting has always been buggy, or -q 9 has less capabilities to have a higher quality.

Yes it is. The only time when i can use a comman line is with Exact Audio Copy mp3's setting tab, after i can read the final .mp3 file with Mediainfo software.

Reply #28
You should stop listening to yourself if you want to learn anything.

I have told you that the program which told you that the encoder had used those settings is wrong. Plain and simple.
It is giving a guess out of what LAME writes in its header.

Also, you are free to use the settings you might like for your own enjoyment. We can only give you advices of what we consider best.

On the other hand, the moment that you start giving advice in these forums, you have to respect the rules that we have defined, and those rules say that any statement given here about audio quality has to be supported by the means that we accept as objective, which means using blind testing, not "visual spectrograms".  In lay terms: Listen with the ears, not with the eyes.

Hope you understand this.

Reply #29
I never understood why Lame Encoder use -V4 (by default) when i want to set CBR.
It doesn't. It's just a default value for VBR quality, but LAME doesn't use it in CBR mode.
hi
may i ask a question ?
i use lame 3.100 the last version
i have always use this settings --noreplaygain -b 320
in these days , i have several new cds , i want to rip in mp3 , is there a sense to add the -q0?
it's incredible slow , i can't hear differents between --noreplaygain -b 320 vs --noreplaygain -b 320 -q0
thanks
happy new year

Reply #30
is there a sense to add the -q0?

Hi Francesco.  No reason to add q0 to your settings.  No quality difference, and it substantially slows the encoding process.

Happy New Year!

LedHed8