Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: wvunpack doesn't find embedded cuesheet (Read 9270 times) previous topic - next topic

wvunpack doesn't find embedded cuesheet

Hi to all,

I have one wavpack file and if I load it to foobar2000, the all tracks are shown and if I press utilities->edit cuesheet, I can see all cuesheet.  However using wvunpack I can NOT extract cue sheet.

Code: [Select]
$ wvunpack -c Johnny\ Winter\ -\ 1971\ -\ Live\ \[Columbia\ 886976172\]\(CD3\)NL+.iso.wv 

WVUNPACK  Hybrid Lossless Audio Decompressor  Linux Version 4.60.1
Copyright (c) 1998 - 2009 Conifer Software.  All Rights Reserved.

tag "cuesheet" not found!

Is this bug in wvunpack or am I doing something wrong?

Reply #1
AFAIK .iso.wv is not a real Wavpack file, it's renamed .iso file.

Reply #2
AFAIK .iso.wv is not a real Wavpack file, it's renamed .iso file.

Well, foobar shows it as wavpack file and wvunpack can unpack it and produce wav file, so clearly this is a real Wavpack file.

Reply #3
No, it is not. It is a WavPack file with an ISO container added around it and often other files such as artwork added into said container. The fact that some applications are gracious enough to skip over these oddities does not make it a compliant file, nor “iso.wv” a real format.

I also suspect the disproportionate number of mentions of “iso.wv” this site gets are due to file-sharing site(s) having adopted it as their new pet standard, presumably due to (A) the ability to bundle other files such as images as I mentioned above and (B) the sad fact that Hydrogenaudio seems to be misinterpreted as a warez FAQ much too frequently.

Reply #4
Well, foobar shows it as wavpack file and wvunpack can unpack it and produce wav file, so clearly this is a real Wavpack file.

As db1989 says, these are not actual WavPack files but archives that contain a WavPack file, and if the WavPack is not the last file in the archive then wvunpack will not be able to find the APEv2 tag (which is where the cuesheet would be).

The easiest way to find out (and actually the safest way to do anything with these files) is to rename them to just .iso and unarchive them into a folder. Then you can see exactly what's in there (the cuesheet may be a separate file in the archive) and wvunpack will be able to access the AVEv2 tag. If you, for example, try to edit the cuesheet or embed artwork in foobar, you can easily corrupt these .iso files (I believe someone doing this with .zip.wv files here).