Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Which WavPack version does FFMPEG use? (Read 5810 times) previous topic - next topic

Which WavPack version does FFMPEG use?

Which WavPack version does FFMPEG use?

Re: Which WavPack version does FFMPEG use?

Reply #1
FFmpeg uses its own implementation of WavPack.
In the past it also could use libwavpack. But it wasn't used properly and its support was dropped - https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=120038.0

Reply #2
As Rollin says, FFmpeg has its own implementation of the decoder and encoder, so there's no real version there.

However if you're asking about the stream version, or what WavPack would report as the version of file generated by FFmpeg, then the answer is 4.

FFmpeg currently does not have the additional WavPack 5 features implemented, except DSD decoding. So, for example, the quick verify feature will not work on FFmpeg-generated files.

Reply #3
Isn't quick verify feature just way to do hashes on compressed data without ever decompressing it?

Reply #4
Isn't quick verify feature just way to do hashes on compressed data without ever decompressing it?
Yes, but that hash has to be present.

For version 5, a new metadata chunk was added to the end of each block containing a checksum for the encoded bytes. If that chunk is absent then the only way to verify the block is to actually decode the audio (the decoded audio checksum is still present in the header).

Reply #5
what kind of hash it uses, i only see 2 variants, 16bit and 32bit, but nowhere mentioned standard.

Reply #6
Also this is badly designed, there is no way to update block checksum for first block and at same time update its final number of samples, which is by the way uint32_t

Reply #7
The hashes are byte checksums, with an initial value of all ones and a multiply of the kernel by 3 before the add (which I find adds robustness without a lot of complexity or cost). Either the entire 32-bit value is used, or the upper and lower halves are xor’d for the 16-bit version.

The checksum always comes last and includes everything in the block except itself. It’s also optional.

I’m not sure what you mean by not being able to update the block checksum and the number of samples. This is done by WavpackUpdateNumSamples() in libwavpack using these functions:

block_add_checksum() and block_update_checksum()

And by the way, since you mention uint32_t, one of the other changes for WavPack 5 was the ability to handle WavPack files over 2 GB and with up to 2^40 samples, but again these changes were done in a backward-compatible way so as to not break anything that currently works with WavPack files or libwavpack. They are all described here:

WavPack 5 Porting Guide

And thanks again for the past and ongoing support from the FFmpeg team!  :)

Reply #8
This is all API documentation and not format specification, making wavpack just slightly better than other closed codec.

AFAIK first block header still only contain uint32_t number of samples.
And in streaming mode, when you seek to first block you need to reread whole first block to update checksum.

Also how good is checksum quality versus bruteforce attempts?

Reply #9

Could it be that you are confusing a CRC / checksum with a cryptographic hash?

Reply #10
Irrelevant. These are not intended to safeguard against malicious manipulation. only to scream at errors. Like if you paginate all pages in your 42 page document by n/42 and you see them in order "18, 666, 20" you can know that there was something wrong.

If someone replaced segments of your Queens of the Stone Age with Kanye West and just re-encoded and replaced the file, how would a WavPack decoder know the difference? I'm quite sure it was never intended to object to that kind of stuff.

Reply #11
This is all API documentation and not format specification, making wavpack just slightly better than other closed codec.
You are correct. However, the format specification is sitting in that same folder.

I admit that this format specification is not nearly complete enough to independently create a WavPack decoder. However, this has not prevented the creation of several alternative decoders, including the FFmpeg one and others in other languages.

I also believe that while some formats have more complete formal specifications, even one as complete as FLAC leaves out too much to be used exclusively, as indicated in this description. And unfortunately WavPack is significantly more complex than FLAC.

AFAIK first block header still only contain uint32_t number of samples.
If you look in the format document I link to above you will find the extra 8 bits extending the sample count to 40-bits. Note that there are macros in wavpack.h to get and set those fields because the extension was complicated by the fact that having the lower 32 bits all ones has a special meaning.

And in streaming mode, when you seek to first block you need to reread whole first block to update checksum.
Yes, this is correct. But why is that such a big deal? The blocks aren't that big and the size is stored at the beginning so you know how much to allocate and read.

As was said, it's a simple checksum to allow a user to quickly verify that WavPack files have not been unintentionally corrupted. It is not intended for files intentionally corrupted.

Reply #12
Thanks David, it's much clearer to me too now :) , a great guy as always replying to uselessly aggressive/borderline rude questions and remarks like a true gentleman.

No thanks to Procus ;) for exposing me to this.
WavPack 5.6.0 -b384hx6cmv / qaac64 2.80 -V 100

Reply #13
Yes, this is correct. But why is that such a big deal? The blocks aren't that big and the size is stored at the beginning so you know how much to allocate and read.

Thanks for confirming it is correct, but note that this "blocks aren't that big" is very limited view. For streaming oriented apps like ffmpeg, it needs to parse whole packet yet again to write updated header is sign of bad design. I could do several version of hacks to mitigate this, but why?

As was said, it's a simple checksum to allow a user to quickly verify that WavPack files have not been unintentionally corrupted. It is not intended for files intentionally corrupted.
Than its usage extremely very limited. Thanks for confirming yet another my point.

Reply #14
Than its usage extremely very limited.
It is precisely what you need for an integrity check.

I wonder, what else do you even imagine you need it for - and what other audio format provides it? There was a discussion here when the author of a certain codec thought that encryption was the be-all-end-all feature to be touted in the wiki, but that is about it.