Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: OGG in Playback in Win95 with Winamp? (Read 3332 times) previous topic - next topic

OGG in Playback in Win95 with Winamp?

I installed on w Win95SR2 machine, Wiamp 2.80 FULL. During install, i selected to support OGG files. But when i try to open, it wont apper on the file open dialog. If i manually select them, it won't play. Does it have anything to do with Win95?

Reply #2
yep. that did it! any idea why?

Reply #3
Well, Not exactly sure on all the gory technical details, but in brief:

Windows95a used some older libraries.  These were updated in Windows95b  (OSR2 (or 2.5)) and beyond.  The original Ogg Vorbis decoder makes reference to these libraries that were updated.  Or something like that.

Reply #4
this is related to all the win9x vs winnt BS. in_vorbis had hard references to some unicode functions which are normally present in system dlls on both win9x and winnt, but on win9x they just return an error (and in_vorbis never calls them on win9x anyway). but some of those functions were missing in win95a dlls, preventing in_vorbis from being loaded correctly.
the sooner all of you upgrade to win2k/xp, the better. there will be more shit like that coming in near future due to win9x OS line being abandoned - win9x doesn't support unicode, meaning that developer has to either screw with international characters on winnt, completely drop win9x support or put 1001 stupid hacks to make win9x happy (and get win9x-specific bugs that don't happen on winnt and possible dll errors on win95a).
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.