Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: aacgain not working..? (Read 7155 times) previous topic - next topic

aacgain not working..?

I've been using MP3Gain with MP3GainGui for years, but recently I started using the Nero AAC encoder to make AAC (m4a) files.
I use the quality setting -q 0.25 for my audiobooks. That gives a very low bitrate with an acceptable quality for speech.

Now I wanted to normalize aac files with aacgain 1.9 and always get the "not a valid mp4/m4a file" error.

I've uploaded a (legal open source) 36kb sample here: http://depositfiles.com/files/zgcetxh31

Can somebody explain why it isn't working?
Thanks!

aacgain not working..?

Reply #1
Just a guess, but does it work if you force lc mode (-lc) with the nero encoder?

aacgain not working..?

Reply #2
I've been using MP3Gain with MP3GainGui for years, but recently I started using the Nero AAC encoder to make AAC (m4a) files.
I use the quality setting -q 0.25 for my audiobooks. That gives a very low bitrate with an acceptable quality for speech.

Now I wanted to normalize aac files with aacgain 1.9 and always get the "not a valid mp4/m4a file" error.

aacgain only supports LC profile. It does not support HE-AAC, which Nero uses for highly compressed files. TechVsLife is correct: use of -lc should fix your problem.

Hope that helps...

Dave

aacgain not working..?

Reply #3
aacgain only supports LC profile. It does not support HE-AAC, which Nero uses for highly compressed files. TechVsLife is correct: use of -lc should fix your problem.

Thanks to you both for the quick replies.
Unfortunately I only have the aac files left on my disk, and not the sources. So it means reencoding, or just leaving it as it is...

@davelasker: Any plans on supporting HE-AAC anytime?

aacgain not working..?

Reply #5
Any plans on supporting HE-AAC anytime?

Given how HE works, it may not even be possible to support it.

I have no plans to support HE-AAC. In order for aacgain to support it, HE-AAC must be supported by FAAD2 (I think it is), and there must be a global_gain field in the encoded stream that aacgain can easily modify (I don't know about that). If it is possible, then aacgain is open source, so anyone can feel free to have at it.

Dave