Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ABC/HR on Linux (Read 4593 times) previous topic - next topic

ABC/HR on Linux

Hi,

Thank you very much for ABC/HR, it's quite useful.  However, on linux, it doesn't work very well.  I fixed several problems to get it to even work, then there were quite bad dropouts changing samples, ie about 1/4 a second which was way too distracting to listen for subtle differences.

Accoring to this post:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....792#entry279792

it seems to be less of a problem on windows. 

I basically re-arranged PlaybackThread.java to remove the dropouts, and it works quite well.  The first sample switch is actually worse as the samples seem to overlap, but subsequent switching is almost perfect.  Sometimes it is perfect (to my ears anyway  ), other times there is a small glitch, I think it's to do with how full the audio data buffer is.

Also I made another minor improvement, to make the current playing sample button in italics so there's a visual indication of which sample is playing.

Is anyone interested in testing this on windows?  I'll post the patches and you'd need to patch the source and rebuild it.

Thanks,
Laurence

ABC/HR on Linux

Reply #1
...watches tumbleweed drift by in the wind... 

So, nobody's ever tried to run this on Linux?  Anyway, I've made further improvements to make sample switching completely and utterly seemless every time on my computer, and it may even be better on windows, I don't know.  For posterity's sake I'll upload it to the upload forum...

Laurence

ABC/HR on Linux

Reply #3
thanks, and yes a lot of people use this on linux

later

ABC/HR on Linux

Reply #4
Hi Laurence,

thank you very much for this! Since I've never used ABC/HR on Linux myself, I'm very glad to get some feedback, and a fix for a problem is of course even better. I haven't worked on ABC/HR for some time and currently I'm very busy with learning for exams, but I promise I'll have a look at this as soon as I have some free time.

Thanks again, your efforts are highly appreciated.

ABC/HR on Linux

Reply #5
Hi schnofler,

Thanks for letting me know. I've still not yet ABX tested all the codecs/bitrates/music types I wanted to, hopefully will next weekend.  It's hard work 

Anyway good luck with your exams!!