Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Open Source TAK encoder (Read 19151 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Open Source TAK encoder

Reply #2
A second, independent implementation is always good to have. Many thanks in advance! I'll surely be following up on this development.
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.

Reply #3
Cool :)

Reply #4
Well done. You are taking away the last thing that was keeping me up in my life dealing with severe chronic desease.

May sound pathetic but only until you are caught in a similar situation.

Til yesterday i was working on TAK 3.0. Can't do it anymore. I am done.

Too shocked to write a deliberate statement.

Reply #5
Whatever you are struggling with behind this (and sincerely, I hope it is not as serious as it appears) -
have a few big hugs, TBeck.

Reply #6
Whatever you are struggling with behind this (and sincerely, I hope it is not as serious as it appears) -
have a few big hugs, TBeck.
Amen to that.

Reply #7
They're taking away nothing. An alternative implementation actually brings a lot to the table. Competition breeds innovation, whether it's different codecs competing on various merits or within a codec to determine areas implementations can improve. The open source aspect only accelerates the speed at which improvements can propagate.

Good luck with your health.

Reply #8
They're taking away nothing. An alternative implementation actually brings a lot to the table. Competition breeds innovation, whether it's different codecs competing on various merits or within a codec to determine areas implementations can improve. The open source aspect only accelerates the speed at which improvements can propagate.
I don't have a noteworthy problem with a truely alternative implementation but with a reverse-engineered copy of my algorithms.  I have good reasons to believe that such a copy exists since 2016. How likely is it, that this announcement is independent from it?

Reply #9
Well done. You are taking away the last thing that was keeping me up in my life dealing with severe chronic desease.
That is sad to hear. I wish you all the best.

May sound pathetic but only until you are caught in a similar situation.
I picked up working on FLAC to keep me occupied when my life took a turn. Of course I don't know whether that is any 'similar', but I think I understand what you mean.

Reply #10
How likely is it, that this announcement is independent from it?
It's open source, so it will be easy to check, no?
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #11
How likely is it, that this announcement is independent from it?
It's open source, so it will be easy to check, no?
Yeah. Another good point for open source: It might be easier to identify the source of reverse-engineering theft.

It's not, that i couldn't understand the interest in an open source encoder. But why not simply ask me for a cooperation on the work on it? Best option for good quality and would also show some respect for the creator. Is it so difficult to send a mail? But hey, no, that would mean less fame.

Obviously TAK was an active project with releaseses last year and also published plans for the next releases. In no way abandoned. But then: Open source leeches incoming.

What you will not get: TAK 3.0 with significantly stronger compression efficiency at maybe 20 percent slower encoding and 10 percent slower decoding.

@mycroft: Now show what you can do besides copying others work.

MOD edit: Fix mention

Reply #12
Its typical ,  foss zealots feel entitled to everything.

Reply #13
What context am I missing from these opinions which frankly are so alien to my way of thinking that they come across as obvious bait? I'm sure you actually hold these opinions but the logic behind them isn't present.

Reply #14
I actually had contacted author of TAK via email back in 2016 regarding bug in decoder that since I have fixed.
Guess what, up to today I never received any reply email, so I at that point completely lost interest in sending any more mails to author of TAK.

Reply #15
What context am I missing from these opinions
When used to dealing with open-source software, one can forget that open-source is a choice and copyright laws grant a lot of protections that you waive when putting an open-source license on your work. In the EU, reverse engineering is only allowed to achieve compatibility, in the US even this is no longer certain.

Reply #16
I get that FOSS is a choice. I don't get to choose for others, neither does @TBeck . He's speculating that he has somehow been wronged which is unknowable for now and I'm not a lawyer.

My post was directed at the general vitriol towards open source which must be fuelled by something.

Reply #17
Part of the problem is that people, myself included, have been asking @TBeck about open-sourcing TAK to the point one could consider it harassment...

Reply #18
I'd hardly call people politely making their opinion known over the course of more than a decade (16+ years?) harassment.

Reply #19
What you will not get: TAK 3.0 with significantly stronger compression efficiency at maybe 20 percent slower encoding and 10 percent slower decoding.
Why not? It seems you've done all of the work towards the new release already, why not release it, along with a blog post explaining what you changed/how you managed to improve the compression with little increase in runtime? I'm sure that many people, myself included, are interested in what you, as the "father of TAK", do and have to say.

Alles Gute,

Chris
If I don't reply to your reply, it means I agree with you.

Reply #20
Thomas always told his point, about opening source. So why you do that?

Reply #21
What context am I missing from these opinions which frankly are so alien to my way of thinking that they come across as obvious bait? I'm sure you actually hold these opinions but the logic behind them isn't present.
A little more empathy would go a long way in understanding that it is right not to wrest away a person's sense of perceived control/ownership/possession regarding private property. I am no expert in the laws and principles of code, but am familiar with basic human decency and the necessity of cordial private communication, seeking the man's blessing/permission, making sure to give proper and visible credit than to rob it off him etc.

Reply #22
I have empathy and am using it. Note the lack of contest and simply asking for more detail on an opinion. Lacking empathy would involve counterpointing when it's clear they don't really want a discussion, or playing therapist, or being silent which can be interpreted as either tacit approval or lack of interest both of which are incorrect.

Reply #23
Dear HA community,

I was always vocal about TAK staying closed source and it gained me the resentment and stalking by at least one other member who kept trying to flag me falsely. I tried to appeal the false flagging to admins here but I felt like the issue was improperly dealt with. As a result my involvement with HA tanked that I was no longer nearly as active with the forum.

I already saw another project get bullied into open sourcing and when the author caved there was little to no outside contribution, but more complaints about the license.

@TBeck: I always believed in your project and was always of the opinion that you should do what is comfortable for you. Obviously there is no one else's contribution to TAK that gives them any right to make demands. And I am very sorry you are dealing with your health issue and I feel sad to know about the effect it has on you. Please take care and feel better.

With regards.
"Something bothering you, Mister Spock?"

Reply #24
Well, of course the best strategy is to get the author to release its own original source code under a "proper" open license.

That's exactly has been recently done for Monkey's Audio...
Hybrid Multimedia Production Suite will be a platform-indipendent open source suite for advanced audio/video contents production.
Official git: https://www.forart.it/HyMPS/