Skip to main content

Topic: foo_midi (Read 16465 times) previous topic - next topic

• arch21
  • [*][*]
Re: foo_midi
Reply #75
Okay, I understand. I guess it's better not to change anything. Thank you. :)

Reply #76
Hi all, just a quick question: what is the maximum polyphony of the BASSMIDI option in foo_midi?

• jeremynsl
  • [*]
Reply #77
Hey,

I'm trying to get MIDIs from the DOS game Gateway 1 to play with adlib emulation.  It works, but the instrumentation is way off.  Here is what it should sound like (from Dosbox)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ct5aJFl30M

Is it possible to extract instruments from the game somehow?  I got the MIDIs from here:
http://www.mirsoft.info/gmb/music_info.php?id_ele=MTM0MTE=

I thought at first it makes more sense to play from the original game files using foo_adplug but the .mus files in the game folder won't be accepted by the plugin.  Any ideas?

• kode54
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #78
The .MUS files included with the game are just multi-file banks containing standard MIDI files. The instrument data is presumably in one of the game's data files or executables.

• arch21
  • [*][*]
Reply #79
hi, kode54
Does foo_midi actually support midi type 2? I just happened to know this type of midi from here.
Regards.

• kode54
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #80
It separates type 2 files into individual sub-songs.

• bennetng
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #81
Hi kode54,

Does foo_midi support multi-port MIDI files? Those files have 0x21 port info already and can be correctly played by TMIDI Player with my SC-D70 for example.

BTW before I post this I did google for the solution, and accidentally I saw you mentioned SC-VA in another forum, but I can say it doesn't always sound like the real thing. Maybe they should hire you to fix those pathetic bugs.

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php?p=1861656&postcount=12

• kode54
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #82
Yes, multiple ports are supported, up to three ports at this time. Ports are allocated not by port number, since some files use port names and have a unique port name on each track. Rather, they are allocated by each unique track using the same channel as another track that has a different port identifier.

• VEG
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #83
bassopus.dll, basswv.dll, bass_mpc.dll, bassflac.dll
Why does foo_midi include all these files? It seems that they are not required for playing MIDI.
  • Last Edit: 25 July, 2017, 04:08:49 AM by VEG

• KDDLB
  • [*]
Reply #84
They're used if you have soundfonts with audio compression.
Nazi punks, f*** off!
--
¡Se habla español!

Reply #85
Can someone please help me understand what I need in order to play these files?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2uObEBH_jRHUGRXZFRQSHIzd3M/view

There are two folders - it's the CM-32L files that I'm struggling with. They generate an "Invalid MIDI File" error when I try to play them. I have CM-32L PCM and Control ROMs referenced under the MUNT data path in the foo_midi settings.

Thanks!

• kode54
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #86
Sorry I took so long to respond to that one report, it's a weird one though. Running status for SysEx commands. Basically, a F0 command, length, and unterminated sequence (no F7), then a delay, then an F7 command, with the rest of the SysEx sequence following it, terminated by another F7. Apparently, this was sort of normal in some MIDI files? Anyway, it's now supported.

• bennetng
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #87
Apparently, this was sort of normal in some MIDI files?
The files are definitely abnormal. I am not familiar with pre-GM stuff but it could be caused by real time recording through physical MIDI interfaces and cables, or some buggy ripping software.

Sometimes buggy MIDI files can hang my synthesizer and I needed to power cycle it.

• kode54
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #88
My library will read those sort of files, but will automatically normalize the SysEx messages into single whole message blocks.

• bennetng
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #89
My library will read those sort of files, but will automatically normalize the SysEx messages into single whole message blocks.
Can you elaborate a bit more? I read some of your codes but I am not sure if I understand them correctly.

Take the attached song as example. myTool.txt is an incomplete tool I wrote to extract SysEx data. It simply gets the bytes according to the reported length after "F0". As you can see, there are some illegal values in delta time 2040.

sonar.txt: the stuff that Sonar read from that SysEx entry.

reaper.txt: Reaper gave up and stopped to parse the file just before that entry.

How do you use the logic of running status to read SysEx? What SysEx values did you get from foo_midi? Thanks.

• kode54
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #90
F0 <running length, in this case, 255> <255 bytes follow> <another delta tick count> F7 <running length, remainder of SysEx> <specified length follows, ends with F7>

If you use my tomid/2mid tool linked with this latest version of midi_processing, it can normalize these split up SysEx messages, padding them on the end with the extra tick counts that surrounded the continuation blocks.

• bennetng
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #91
Thanks for the explanation.