Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Tiny glitch near the end of every song when playing a whole album (Read 1210 times) previous topic - next topic

Tiny glitch near the end of every song when playing a whole album

Hi, I'm new to this forum.

I use v1.3.15 on Win10. Playing audio files locally (from hard drive). Files are FLAC, CD quality, ripped and encoded with the reference FLAC library and encoder on Linux.
The output goes via USB to an external DAC - the JDS Labs EL DAC. https://www.jdslabs.com/products/174/el-dac/ No idea what settings the DAC is using, I'm not changing anything there, so I guess it uses whatever factory defaults it may have.
I use pretty much default settings in the fb2k app too.
The system is a relatively new HP laptop, quad core, the CPU is not the greatest ever but should be more than fast enough for audio play.

What I do usually is to load a whole folder, containing all files that make an album. Then I start playing the songs in order, and I let fb2k handle the gapless transition between songs. I don't have any music library on that system, I just download files from my fileserver, play them, then delete them.

Now, the transition right between songs is indeed gapless. But essentially always, something like 30 ... 60 seconds before a song's end, there's a slight glitch. It sounds like what a player would do if it was not truly gapless - except this is within a song, not between songs.

It's a very, very tiny glitch near the end of every song. It's annoying.

Is this a known issue? Is there something I can do to fix it?

Re: Tiny glitch near the end of every song when playing a whole album

Reply #1
It's not a known issue. A DSP with very long buffer could cause a problem like that if it somehow handled track transition signal incorrectly. But I got from your description that you don't use any.

I see the DAC is a USB Audio Class 2.0 device. Are you perhaps using the built-in driver from Windows 10 Creators Update on it or the manufacturer's driver from the site? Peter thinks the new Windows 10 generic USB Audio 2.0 driver is bugged based on what he saw when he worked around the issues with WASAPI output. When buffer state was read too often the driver made an audible glitch. The workaround was to not check the buffer as often and I didn't hear any glitching during testing with my Class 2.0 device. But it's possible other devices respond differently or perhaps I just couldn't hear glitches that were there.

Reply #2
I bought the DAC around the time when the Win10 Creators Update service pack came out. It is my understanding that the DAC would not have worked with the native drivers before Creators Update. However, I received the DAC the day the service pack was installed on my laptop - so I plugged the DAC in and it just worked. I even wrote the manufacturer that the DAC seems to not require extra drivers now.

TLDR: I am using the built-in driver.

Is there anything I could do to work around the issue with the built-in driver?

Reply #3
It's not a known issue. A DSP with very long buffer could cause a problem like that if it somehow handled track transition signal incorrectly. But I got from your description that you don't use any.

The only effects processor I use is the MathAudio Headphone EQ plugin but I hear the glitch no matter whether the EQ is enabled or disabled.

Reply #4
I can only recommend testing the driver linked on the previously mentioned site https://www.jdslabs.com/downloads/beta/JDS-Labs-EL-DAC-UAC2-Drivers_Build_26090.zip. If it solves the problem it might be worth it to use the feedback program in the OS to let Microsoft know the built-in driver is in need of fixing.