Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [TOS #8] From: How to get best audio quality with foobar (Read 1702 times) previous topic - next topic

[TOS #8] From: How to get best audio quality with foobar

what is kernel stream?

Simply put - it's a method of bypassing the windows mixer so that audio data goes direct from your application to your output device. It's debatable whether it makes any audible difference.

I think ASIO limits you to one device at a time

Not always. It must be application specific because I can utilise different drivers to output to different output pairs an the same multi channel device. (MoTU)

Debatable ? Not if you have a decent pair of headphones and DAC, the differences are night and day you just notice the difference immediately as you activate the wasapi or ASIO.

Reply #1
Just to comment on ASIO drivers in Foobar2000:
I am generally using a pro audio interface from at home (I record music, er, music performances).
I have been working for years as a sound engineer. I've tried many configurations, but when I play audio through that Pro interface, it definitely sounds opener and clearer when run through the ASIO drivers. I have no explanation for this and theoretically there should be no audible difference
However, with consumer sound cards it really makes no difference whatsoever.... I've tried an Audigy too with asio and noted no difference except for some glitches caused by low latency.
It could be due to the fact that some professional interfaces are designed and tested using these drivers. They also have more hardware for processing. I have never had any problems using the ASIO drivers and have used them since the late 90's. However, I would agree with you that it is not recommendable to mess around with them and, unless you are sure of what you're doing, I would definitely advise avoiding them.

I'm trying to reach the best audio quality with foobar. Can you help me?
foobar2000 provides the "best" audio quality out-of-the-box.

I've installed asio4all
Please don't use ASIO output for no reason. That's just asking for trouble.

and then also foobar bassexciter to add windows media player trubass and wow effects on foobar
Whether post-processing improves the perceived audio quality is completely subjective (and also depends on your speakers and listening environment among other factors), so what kind of post-processing you apply is completely up to you.

Reply #2
I have been working for years as a sound engineer. [...] when I play audio through that Pro interface, it definitely sounds opener and clearer when run through the ASIO drivers. I have no explanation for this and theoretically there should be no audible difference.

So, what are your plans to produce the explanation?