Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MP3 ripping + merging MP3s (Read 3548 times) previous topic - next topic

MP3 ripping + merging MP3s

HI,

I have installed the LAME in the program file folder of the EAC folder, then i have set its path in the external compression option.

So i now need to rip my CDs, however they are audio books so i want the quality to 64kps, however it only allows me to go to 96kps

is there a way to do this?, im only new at this and i am thinking a command line? however wouldnt have a clue how to do this.

ALSO - what will be the best program to join all my MP3 tracks into 1 file... ?

thanks

Reply #1
ALSO - what will be the best program to join all my MP3 tracks into 1 file... ?
mp3DirectCut (FREE!!!) should be able to do it, and it works without re-encoding the MP3.  (All general-purpose audio editors need to decode before editing/processing.)

Are you sure you want to make one big file????  I've done this a couple of times, and I've made chapters (and sub-chapters).  But, it wasn't easy since the CD tracks didn't seem to match-up with the chapters.

So i now need to rip my CDs, however they are audio books so i want the quality to 64kps, however it only allows me to go to 96kps.
Strange... LAME itself goes down to 32kbps, but I've never used a bitrate that low.

XRECODE (FREE!!!) is easy to use and it should be able to re-encode to 64kbps, but you might not get the same quality as if you were to compress once.

Reply #2
Thanks for the reply.

Here is a print screen of my settings - you can see it doesnt go lower then 96kps - what am i doing wrong?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/eidinthepark/6764075319/

also regarding the mp3 merger, is the one you recommend better then MP3 merger?

I just wont the most accurate program

thanks

Reply #3
For Lame setup use this guide EAC and Lame

and put this in the additional command line options bit

If the audio book is mono (best for this bitrate)
Code: [Select]
-b 64 -m m %s %d

If the audio book is stereo
-b 64 %s %d

you might need to change %s to %source% and %d to %dest% if you are using the newest version of EAC
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #4
DO YOU MEAN

if i require the ripped mp3s in stereo to use the first code

and if i want it to be ripped in mono use the second code?

Reply #5
other way round

first code for mono, second for stereo.

Reply #6

i wrote

-b 64 -m m %source% %dest%

then it ripped everything into WAV AGAIN

?

Reply #7
1. Click the EAC menu and select Compression Options.

2. Click the External Compression Tab, and put a check box in Use external program for compression.

3. Change Parameter passing scheme to User Defined Encoder.

4. Change Use file extension to .mp3.

5. Click the Browse button and locate the lame.exe that you unzipped into the EAC directory earlier

6. copy and paste the code below in to the Additional command-line options box and click ok.
-b 64 -m m %source% %dest%

Reply #8
If you have extracted to wav, then you can do anything you want with the data. I always prefer this approach.

Everyone has their own tastes and if you really like the book to be one file, then you do. I, and a few other people I know, find large files very inconvenient. My daughter buys books from Audible, which come in rather large chunks. I always cut them into more reasonable, and more useful, lengths. I prefer 10 to 15 minutes but mostly I do 30 minutes because that length is so much less fuss with mp3DirectCut.