Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Enable Tapatalk? (Read 21119 times) previous topic - next topic

Enable Tapatalk?

Is there any chance that Tapatalk will be eneable to read this forum?
it is a very neat forum reader for mobile devices.

Br
Lasse

Enable Tapatalk?

Reply #1
Even if any of the admins cared, the old IPB 2.x.x branch is apparently not supported by that thing.
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Enable Tapatalk?

Reply #2
Just a note that I'd love to have Tapatalk support too.

Enable Tapatalk?

Reply #4
+1

Enable Tapatalk?

Reply #6
Is Tapatalk the thing that spams my mobile browser each time I visit a forum using it? Not going to happen. I'm principally against this kind of thing anyway. Let the mobile device vendors fix their browsers so the site is usable.

Enable Tapatalk?

Reply #7
Is Tapatalk the thing that spams my mobile browser each time I visit a forum using it? Not going to happen. I'm principally against this kind of thing anyway. Let the mobile device vendors fix their browsers so the site is usable.

you're against a mobile, touch friendly, phone readable friendly interface to your forums with no negative implications whatsoever? All it does is enable a framework for tapatalk apps to log in or out. It does not spam my phones browser- that's most likely an optional or perhaps even a custom notification you've had the misfortune to come across.

It's not a matter of "let the vendor make their browser better". Any mobile browser these days could handle a forum fine. I'm posting from my phone right now. But it's a pain in the ass to be constantly zooming in and out to reach the various tiny buttons located a few pixels away from each other, as well as constantly scrolling left and right because it's a wide site from a portrait orientation (and reflow doesn't work on forums text input boxes because the styling prevents it). Moreover tapatalk interface provides easy access to "participated" threads. If your forum currently supports it, I can't find it. It's pretty damn silly to have to search for my own posts.

if I sound rude, sorry. Just annoyed that you seem to be dismissing something incredibly useful because of a misconception and couldn't-care-less-because-i-dont-use-it attitude. I'm not asking you to overhaul your entire forum- just at least check if your forum supports the plugin. If it does, it's a simple matter of installing the plugin. If not, well thanks for checking.

Enable Tapatalk?

Reply #8
if I sound rude, sorry. Just annoyed that you seem to be dismissing something incredibly useful because of a misconception and couldn't-care-less-because-i-dont-use-it attitude. I'm not asking you to overhaul your entire forum- just at least check if your forum supports the plugin. If it does, it's a simple matter of installing the plugin. If not, well thanks for checking.

Agree completely: taking part in HA is the only thing I can't do properly on my iPhone, between the ones I actually care in my day to day routine! And I seem to be not the only one: why don't try to make it easier, if possible at no cost and in a few steps?
... I live by long distance.

Enable Tapatalk?

Reply #9
Huh. I don't get it. Works fine on my qHD HTC One S under Firefox and my 800x480 wifi-"phone". Why use some shitty bloatware instead?

"ZOMG NO MOBILE VERSION I HAET HAET HAET HAET" - WTF?

If you want to do something productive, hack the .CSS so it reflows properly on a cell phone and post the mod here. I'm pretty sure the admins would be amenable to such an approach....

...not that it even reflows so bad! I posted this whole damn thing from my phone.

Enable Tapatalk?

Reply #10
Why use some shitty bloatware instead?

Upon what is exactly based this very precise examination of yours?

...not that it even reflows so bad! I posted this whole damn thing from my phone.

Just for the record: as an exercise, I'm posting those very words from my phone too, using Atomic Browser which does a decent reflow and font zooming, but why use something "not so bad" (to be polite) when it's possible to have a better UI? I mean better in a functional way, not just eye candy.

Look, we're in 2013 after all...

Enable Tapatalk?

Reply #11
I agree, I use Tapatalk for many forums and I found it very useful to use it with my smartphone.
The "thing" that "spam" is a message only with Chrome (I think) and can be disabled by the owner of the board.

Enable Tapatalk?

Reply #12
Upon what is exactly based this very precise examination of yours?
Downloading 10MB to see some re-parsing of content and a big directory of shitty forums. Hell, if the rendering of HA irritated me so much on mobile, I could download Lynx and still use an order of magnitude less bandwidth, and have all the useless graphical content removed automagically. Or, I could use a proper RSS reader to parse the site content and just use that. Or this, or that, or the other thing. I'm sure if my jimmies were sufficiently rustled, I could find more things to bitch about. Oh, centralized accounts? Hooray, one more way I'm being tracked by other companies. Pay-to-play model? Oh, now I'm starting to see why people want it, to justify another useless expense.

Just for the record: as an exercise, I'm posting those very words from my phone too, using Atomic Browser which does a decent reflow and font zooming, but why use something "not so bad" (to be polite) when it's possible to have a better UI? I mean better in a functional way, not just eye candy.
I see no functional improvement beyond "eye candy". YMMV. Yep, it's 2013, and in a couple years the big browsers will probably have better mobile showings, but other than Firefox and Chrome, I don't really care about any other niche browser.

Enable Tapatalk?

Reply #13
I still don't see any solid reason beyond your personal opinions not to enable it. Neither I see how helping other people feel more comfortable could possibly prevent you from enjoying HA any other way you like!

I do use RSS to read latest post on mobile, but it's useless to post and it also lacks some subforums.
And speaking about it reminded me how easy and enjoyable and even lightweight on slow 2G/IrDA connections it was to read AND post on usenet forums back in 2003 on my Palm PDA: 160x160 screen, Graffiti text entering and an app (Yanoff) with  a smart UI made just for it!

Enable Tapatalk?

Reply #14
I still don't see any solid reason beyond your personal opinions not to enable it. Neither I see how helping other people feel more comfortable could possibly prevent you from enjoying HA any other way you like!
The cost is the labour time of the few individuals both trustworthy enough and technically-skilled enough to do so. And what's the benefit? I see no solid reason beyond your personal opinions to enable it. From that cost-benefit analysis, it's quite clear that of the two categories, the cost is the more heavily weighted, at least in any objective sense. I welcome rational rebuttals (certainly you've proven yourself here), but I honestly have no idea how else the cost-benefit analysis can turn out, especially in any objective sense. Care to set me straight?

Enable Tapatalk?

Reply #15
The cost is the labour time of the few individuals both trustworthy enough and technically-skilled enough to do so. And what's the benefit? I see no solid reason beyond your personal opinions to enable it. From that cost-benefit analysis, it's quite clear that of the two categories, the cost is the more heavily weighted, at least in any objective sense. I welcome rational rebuttals (certainly you've proven yourself here), but I honestly have no idea how else the cost-benefit analysis can turn out, especially in any objective sense. Care to set me straight?

The "cost" is at most an hour to install and do the bare minimum of configuration, or even 5 minutes if you confirm that the board does not support tapatalk. Also, you have *no* idea how it works or what it does- centralized tracking of users? Wasting bandwidth / might as well go to lynx? Furthermore you're very flippant and almost rudely up in arms about this incredibly trivial and simple procedure, and based off (I reiterate) your odd misconceptions over it, and also you continue to force your opinions and way of doing things on others. I suggest you do the bare minimum of research before posting again if you're so worried about wasting time- if you're not careful, the effort you put into rebutting this request will exceed the work it takes to install!

Enable Tapatalk?

Reply #16
The forums I use the most (doom9, Anandtech, Steve Hoffman) all support Tapatalk. I won't use HA on my phone, I wait till I get home.

No big deal for me, but Tapatalk is a very nice piece of software that's quickly becoming a standard. Well worth investigating.

Enable Tapatalk?

Reply #17
I thought the standard for accessing websites are browsers.
But alas, thanks to the mobile-app-age, we're back to buying programs to access websites. Ka ching!

Enable Tapatalk?

Reply #18
But alas, thanks to the mobile-app-age, we're back to buying programs to access websites. Ka ching!

When I was young the standard for writing to people was a sheet of paper and a pen, for the charge of a stamp. Then the "computer for the masses, not the classes" revolution started...

@Canar: the large number of forums that adopted it if not this thread by itself (I'm neither the OP) could prove that it's not only an opinion of mine, and I wouldn't have insisted if I thought it was hard work, as on the Tapatalk site they speak about a 15 mins procedure (yes, maybe they are overly optimistic and it could as well take twice or three times so).
Anyway, I got the point: all the staff here works by volunteering so every minute is a gift.

Fine, back to audio matters now...

Enable Tapatalk?

Reply #19
The "cost" is at most an hour to install and do the bare minimum of configuration, or even 5 minutes if you confirm that the board does not support tapatalk. Also, you have *no* idea how it works or what it does- centralized tracking of users? Wasting bandwidth / might as well go to lynx? Furthermore you're very flippant and almost rudely up in arms about this incredibly trivial and simple procedure, and based off (I reiterate) your odd misconceptions over it, and also you continue to force your opinions and way of doing things on others. I suggest you do the bare minimum of research before posting again if you're so worried about wasting time- if you're not careful, the effort you put into rebutting this request will exceed the work it takes to install!

Tapatalk can be installed in 3 minutes
It is possible to choose just to add the file "Mobiquo" and to upload it to the server.
Sometimes there are updates.

Enable Tapatalk?

Reply #20

Threaded discussion forums are a special type of website, and Tapatalk is a special type of mobile browser. The app is free, by the way, so there's nothing to buy. Also, I've been around long enough to remember the days when you had to buy your web browser to access websites. 

Enable Tapatalk?

Reply #21
The app is free, by the way, so there's nothing to buy.

Tapatalk 4 beta is free, which will be merged with the payware "Tapatalk HD" once it's finished.
This is the public beta release of Tapatalk 4. Final release of this app will be merged with Tapatalk HD and will be renamed to Tapatalk 4

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?...atalk.tapatalk4

I always wondered why new versions of all these board-solutions don't have stylesheets for mobile devices. Until I saw this: http://www.tapatalk.com/build.php
All makes sense now.

Enable Tapatalk?

Reply #22
The app is free, by the way, so there's nothing to buy.

Tapatalk 4 beta is free, which will be merged with the payware "Tapatalk HD" once it's finished.
This is the public beta release of Tapatalk 4. Final release of this app will be merged with Tapatalk HD and will be renamed to Tapatalk 4

The official client is paid. There are 3rd party tapatalk clients which are free. Paying is a choice.

Enable Tapatalk?

Reply #23
The official client is paid. There are 3rd party tapatalk clients which are free. Paying is a choice.

Using it is a choice, in the first place (if it were installed, of course).

Enable Tapatalk?

Reply #24
The "cost" is at most an hour to install and do the bare minimum of configuration, or even 5 minutes if you confirm that the board does not support tapatalk.
on the Tapatalk site they speak about a 15 mins procedure (yes, maybe they are overly optimistic and it could as well take twice or three times so).
Tapatalk can be installed in 3 minutes
It is possible to choose just to add the file "Mobiquo" and to upload it to the server.

Even if any of the admins cared, the old IPB 2.x.x branch is apparently not supported by that thing.

You guys really make Tapatalk users the sorts of users we definitely want to promote around here!