Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Cyrillic characters in MP3 tag not shown correctly in Windows Explorer (Read 10968 times) previous topic - next topic

Cyrillic characters in MP3 tag not shown correctly in Windows Explorer

The tags show to me as a foreign laguage. Can't get any player to recognize other language except english. Maybe i need some kind of codecs? Help? Please.

Reply #1
What, do you want Windows and/or the player to automatically translate them to English for you? Or are you concerned about the incorrect characters under the Title column? Or both? You really need to describe what you want better. Same with choosing titles for your threads. The only reason I am not renaming this one right now is because I have no idea what you actually want.

Reply #2
The tags show to me as a foreign laguage. Can't get any player to recognize other language except english. Maybe i need some kind of codecs? Help? Please.

The tags are in russian, nothing wrong with them. The Title column in your player should be fixed to print cyrillic too, instead of the messed up latin letters.

Reply #3
Well, the latter is clearly an issue with character encoding/codepages, whether in Windows or perhaps just in the tags themselves. The OP will want to search for info on how to display foreign characters properly from media files in various programs, files that I assume without information are in MP3 format. Either Windows just cannot read those tags in the correct encoding, or the foreign characters were not encoded properly in the tags, meaning they might not be retrievable without manual correction, for example pasting from the filename. But I have almost no experience of problems with non-Latin characters, so I cannot speculate further.

Reply #4
The problem is in Windows, i think.  I want to know how to get windows to recognize the russian characters? I've tried to open the songs from iTunes and Spotify and it's the same thing.

Reply #5
I did not realize the first (correctly displayed) column is the file name and the latter messed-up ones are read from the tags. Either the tags need to be converted from koi8 or cp1251 to utf8 http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-auto-...-unicode-utf-8/ or the viewing application does not support utf8 tags.

Reply #6
The problem is in Windows, i think.
It's more likely that the problem is in the way the tags have been stored in the files. Try opening the files with MP3Tag, and read these posts on how to deal with or repair code page / Unicode problems with file tags.

http://forums.mp3tag.de/index.php?showtopic=3076
http://forums.mp3tag.de/index.php?showtopic=17226
http://forums.mp3tag.de/index.php?showtopic=11925

Reply #7
Also it is possible to use foobar2000+foo_chacon to fix the tags.

Reply #8
I have updated the title with the proper information. Could you also specify the formats of these files and their tags?

Reply #9
The problem is in Windows, i think.  I want to know how to get windows to recognize the russian characters?

To display russian characters correctly you have to do one of the following:

Variant 1: Control panel -> Region and Language -> Administrative tab -> Language for non-unicode programs - Change system locale -> set to Russian (Russia)
However if you have your own non-russian locale, this is really bad solution.

Variant 2: you have to convert current tags from ANSI to Unicode i.e. using foobar + foo_chacon with cp1251 as conversion parameter.

Reply #10
Variant 2: you have to convert current tags from ANSI to Unicode i.e. using foobar + foo_chacon with cp1251 as conversion parameter.

This is by far the best way and what I've done in the past.