Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [ASIO]Skips During Playblack (Read 2180 times) previous topic - next topic

[ASIO]Skips During Playblack

Relatively new Foobar user, but very impressed so far. Here's the issue: I've been ripping CD's to .wav files using dBpoweramp; don't seem to have any issues there and the rips are Accuraterip verified.

The problem is when I go to play them in Foobar with a Asus Xonar card, and then use Firefox while a song is playing, I then get skips in the music. I can literally load or refresh a page and cause the .wav file track to skip. Google Chrome does the same thing.

It tends to happen on web pages with graphics etc. I'm really wondering if Abobe Flash is causing the problem, but taking it off is out because of YouTube.

And we're not talking any cheap hardware either. WD Caviar black drives, Intel I7 processor, 8 Gig of ram etc.

The problem will occur with nothing more than Foobar and Firefox running.

I'm using the ASIO driver.

Windows 7, SP1. Recent, clean install. Very few things loaded on the system.

Any ideas?

Incorrect setting somewhere?

A bug or something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Reply #1
1. There is one reason to not use the standard DirectSound for output, and that reason is for exclusive output. For windows 7 the best way to do this is with WASAPI, at it causes fewer problems and has fewer configuration issues, as well as has generally fewer bad drivers. The ASIO output component is provided for Windows XP users who want exclusive output and can't use WASAPI.

2. Have you tried adjusting the output buffer length?
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #2
1. There is one reason to not use the standard DirectSound for output, and that reason is for exclusive output. For windows 7 the best way to do this is with WASAPI, at it causes fewer problems and has fewer configuration issues, as well as has generally fewer bad drivers. The ASIO output component is provided for Windows XP users who don't use WASAPI.

2. Have you tried adjusting the output buffer length?

Awesome advice.

Thank you.

I changed it to WASAPI and that seems to be doing fine.

Have a great weekend and thanks again.