Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Periodical spike @ ~21401Hz (Read 6314 times) previous topic - next topic

Periodical spike @ ~21401Hz

Hi!

This spike can be found on this track (Single Handed Sailor) only. It's there in few instances.

Is it the vinyl surface or could it just be some added signal.
If someone has this record in CD format, ... is it there as well?

Juha

EDIT: Oops! MOD, could you remove kilos from subject.

Reply #1
Frequency Analysis

Spectral

I don't have the best tools for the job but I think these should answer your question. These are from an original CD release.
daefeatures.co.uk

Reply #2
Do these spikes occur once per revolution of the record, 33 1/3 times per minute?

Reply #3
@evereux:
Curious, that second one looks like if it had had a notchband filter applied precisely where Juha has found the issue. Could you try zooming in (into a span of two to three seconds at much) and see if the picture shows this effect in more detail?

Reply #4
Do these spikes occur once per revolution of the record, 33 1/3 times per minute?

If I calculated it correctly, 56 spikes / second.

Here's picture of the whole track:

Juha

Reply #5
Here you go [Jaz]:

Spectral Zoom
daefeatures.co.uk

Reply #8
I just checked my copy of this track from the SBM remastered CD and the bursts are there as well.  I had to resampled the clip in order to do a side by side comparison and it appears that the CD version plays slightly quicker and is out of phase.  To me this implies that bursts exist on the analog source that was digitized.

Reply #9
Frequency Analysis

Spectral

I don't have the best tools for the job but I think these should answer your question. These are from an original CD release.

Looks like the 'noise' is present in CD version from start to end of this track (in my LP rip it's peridiocal) ... is it because of what [JAZ] suggests or is it because of analog technology is more 'lossy' and therefore I don't get it all showing up?

BTW, there's a Trial version of iZotope RX - http://www.izotope.com

@evereux:
Curious, that second one looks like if it had had a notchband filter applied precisely where Juha has found the issue. Could you try zooming in (into a span of two to three seconds at much) and see if the picture shows this effect in more detail?

Would that be the best way to go to get rid of this 'noise' or just cut everything above ~20kHz? Possible issues ?

Juha

Reply #10
Looks like the 'noise' is present in CD version from start to end of this track (in my LP rip it's peridiocal) ... is it because of what [JAZ] suggests or is it because of analog technology is more 'lossy' and therefore I don't get it all showing up?

The noise appears on my CD just as it does in your LP rip.  Evereux's CD is from an older mastering.