Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ripping plugin? (Read 8869 times) previous topic - next topic

Ripping plugin?

Hi,
Is there any kind of plugin, which can rip normal music CDs into MP3 files?
If yes, could give me a link please?
Or is this even possible to make?
Thanks already!

Ripping plugin?

Reply #1
If I understand correctly you should be able to do this easily with the Diskwriter component ( http://www.foobar2000.org/components.html#foo_diskwriter ).

Set Diskwriter up to use "LAME --alt-preset standard" (or whatever) in "Foobar 2000 > Preferences > Components > Diskwriter > Output presets"

Choose "Components > Play audio CD" to load up the CD.

Right-hand click on the tracks and choose "Convert > Run conversion".
I'm on a horse.

Ripping plugin?

Reply #2
Please take error-correction into account, therefore it's better to use EAC for ripping.
With foobar you only have a burst-copy..

Ripping plugin?

Reply #3
I've had a couple of problems with EAC reading CDs. The current problem is with "Songs For the Deaf": EAC reports that it can't find a correct read mode - even though it has been able to read 99.7% of my other CDs.

As an alternative, if I use Foobar's Diskwriter will it at least be a digital conversion (even if it doesn't have the secure ripping EAC does)?  i.e.: when foobar reads a CD to write does it do it digitally, and not through the soundcard?

If I have "Enable digital CD audio for the CD-ROM device" checked in the drive's properites (Win2K) will this be the case for all programs anyway?

If I'm not going to be able to use EAC I at least want a digital conversion.

CDEx won't let me do a CD image.  CloneCD doesn't seem to like the CD either 
I'm on a horse.

Ripping plugin?

Reply #4
foobar uses akrip.dll (akrip @ sourceforge.net) to read audio from CD, the read bits are feed into foobar, the read values are not touched by your soundcard, you have digital data.
Same with progs using its own methods to read data and not just to play the Audio-CD.

Crappy CD, use burst mode, older EAC, CloneCD-profile, Alcohol, new drive .. ah there's so much to try *remembering stupid wasting-time-sessions*

Ripping plugin?

Reply #5
Cool - thanks for the swift response sPeziFisH.

I have tried Burst Mode, to no avail.

It's weird - both CDs it's happened on (Skunk Anansie - Stoosh, and Queens of the Stoneage - Songs for the Deaf) will play fine - but if I try to copy or rip them using CloneCD or EAC I have no joy whatsoever.

I may try messing around with EAC a little more to see if I can get it to work.

I'm wondering, out of the ether, whether this is a lead in/out problem - but I don't really understand all that, so I'm just babbling really.  There must be something up with the manufacturer of these dics though - QOTSA looks especially pristine, so I don't think it's a disc quality issue.

Any recommendations for an older EAC (the 3.90.3 of EAC)?  I've kept a software archive for a few years now, so I should have quite a few old versions.
I'm on a horse.

Ripping plugin?

Reply #6
Thanks, but...there is now problem.
I'm trying to rip The 69 Eyes - Devils album, and when I press "Run conversion", choose directory and press OK, there comes this:

INFO (foo_clienc) : CLI encoder: LAME.EXE
INFO (foo_clienc) : Destination file: file://E:\kebabin puoli\Muzic\0-9\The 69 Eyes\001 00D54353,01.mp3
INFO (foo_clienc) : Source file: cdda://00D54353,01
INFO (foo_clienc) : 44100Hz 24bps 2ch
ERROR (foo_clienc) : Unable to start LAME.EXE
ERROR (foo_diskwriter) : Conversion failed.

Where should that LAME.EXE be, so I could look if I miss that or something?
Or should I just try some other settings?
I'll try some other album too if this happens on every albums.

edit: Yes, it comes when trying to rip other CDs too..
And the same message when trying to rip with other drive.

Ripping plugin?

Reply #7
Easiest way: put LAME in foobar's folder.

Either that, or Edit the relevant output preset in preferences ( "Foobar 2000 > Preferences > Components > Diskwriter > Output presets"), and specify the path to LAME.

sPeziFisH is right though - you should really consider using EAC instead.

Update:
INFO (foo_clienc) : Destination file: file://E:\kebabin puoli\Muzic\0-9\The 69 Eyes\001 00D54353,01.mp3
To get a better filename also edit the "Output file name formatting", maybe to something like:

$num(%tracknumber%,2) - %title%

I use:

%artist%\%album%\$num(%tracknumber%,2) - %title%

... and have "Create subdirectories" checked.[/i]
I'm on a horse.

Ripping plugin?

Reply #8
Is there any reason as to why there isn't an open-source knockoff of EAC? I'd personally find and automated CD ripping feature to be immensely useful, but there doesn't seem to be anything as good as EAC that could work with foobar. :/

Ripping plugin?

Reply #9
I've just taken another look at Songs for the Deaf and the gap for track 1 is getting listed as 0:01:34.61.

Is this one of those track 1, index 0 hidden tracks I've heard about?

I can't get EAC to rip it at all.

Any ideas?
I'm on a horse.

Ripping plugin?

Reply #10
I'd personally find and automated CD ripping feature to be immensely useful, but there doesn't seem to be anything as good as EAC that could work with foobar. :/[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Would be fine if EAC could be run with commandline-parameters (parameters could be  sourcefiles and a profile) so that started by foo_run it ripps the track by using the settings in the profile. Hmm, I have an idea...

Synthetic:

Maybe its a hidden song, 1 min and 34 + 61/75 sec is a long pregap, just throw the CD in your player and press the rewind/(search backwards)-button directly after the CD starts to play.
Regarding EAC version:  [a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=16086]EAC & missing manual TOC detection[/url]

edit: typo

Ripping plugin?

Reply #11
I put LAME in foobar's folder and now it works.
Thanks again, but is it always ripping tracks with 128kbps, and can I change it to 192kbps somewhere?

Ripping plugin?

Reply #12
I put LAME in foobar's folder and now it works.
Thanks again, but is it always ripping tracks with 128kbps, and can I change it to 192kbps somewhere?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I'm not really sure how you are getting 128, but...

From the preferences select "Commandline Encoder: LAME --alt preset standard" from the drop down and then click the "Duplicate button", and then the "Edit" button.

Change the Parameters to:

--preset CBR 192 - %d

Change the Display name to:

LAME --preset CBR 192

Hit OK.

If you use this preset you will now produce contant bitrate MP3s at 192Kbps.

If you want variable bitrate use:

--preset 192 - %d

Edit: See this thread for a list of recommended settings:

[a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=28124]http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=28124[/url]

--alt-preset standard or --preset standard should really be what you want, e.g.:

--preset standard - %d
I'm on a horse.

Ripping plugin?

Reply #13
I've just taken another look at Songs for the Deaf and the gap for track 1 is getting listed as 0:01:34.61.

Is this one of those track 1, index 0 hidden tracks I've heard about?

I can't get EAC to rip it at all.

Any ideas?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=251711"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It does have a hidden track "Real Song for the Deaf" before track 1

[instrumental/noise]

Ripping plugin?

Reply #14
It does have a hidden track "Real Song for the Deaf" before track 1

[instrumental/noise]
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=251814"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks Molgrew.

I haven't got around to testing it yet, but I did test Stoosh this evening, and it does also have a hidden Track 1/Index 0 track - around 2:40 in length.  On brief listening it is a "remix" of one of the songs on the album (whose name escapes me).

I still have no idea how to backup these discs though.  From what I can tell this is purely down to whether my DVD will read them, and it doesn't appear to 
I'm on a horse.

Ripping plugin?

Reply #15
Slept bad, so I don't want to talk too much - beam me up

Use 'Copy Range', maybe start at 1,2,5,10,whatever if 0 doesn't work.
Check the overead into Lead-in, offset, blabla..