Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: speaker setup (Read 5429 times) previous topic - next topic

speaker setup

Hi, i need same help/opinion on how to set up a home theater. It is used for movies and music as well. the reciver is and oldie Marantz SR7400, the 5 speakers are Monitor Audio Bronze (BR6;BR2;BRLCR) and the subwoofer yamaha YST-SW315, i'll paste the links below

Reciver Marantz

Speakers

Subwoofer

The question is about the speaker set up page. I set all speakers to small so i can avoid frequencies overlap between subwoofer and speakers (i think so, i'm right?)

the other topic is about crossover set up. I got 3 options, 80hz 100hz or 120hz Which shoud i choose? the sub is a 10'' and the Br6 have 3x6.5'' woofers

Thanks for any response.

speaker setup

Reply #1
The question is about the speaker set up page. I set all speakers to small so i can avoid frequencies overlap between subwoofer and speakers
Yes.  "Small" is standard for most home theater setups  (not because of "overlap").  But if you feel like you are getting enough bass from regular music without the sub, you can select "large". 

With 5.1 surround DVDs & Blu-Rays, the "point one" channel is the LFE channel (Low Frequency Effects = "booms" & explosions).  There is no "regular bass" in the LFE channel.    The normal bass (from the music, etc.) is mixed into the other 5 (or 2) full-range channels.

But since most home theaters don't have 5 truly full-range speakers, home theater receivers have optional "bass management".  It diverts all the bass from the other "small" speakers, mixes those 5 channels of bass together with the LFE channel, and sends all the bass to the subwoofer.

Either way, there is no overlap.    Either the LFE channel is kept separate and sent to the sub, or the regular bass is removed from the stereo/surround channels, mixed with the LFE, and send to the sub.

the other topic is about crossover set up. I got 3 options, 80hz 100hz or 120hz Which shoud i choose? the sub is a 10'' and the Br6 have 3x6.5'' woofers
You'll probably just have to experiment.  With 3x6.5" woofers, your speakers can probably go down to 80Hz with no trouble.  If you choose "large", that setting shouldn't do anything.    The LFE channel is always sent to the sub without filtering (with 5.1 or 7.1 surround movies).

speaker setup

Reply #2
I have all my speakers set to large and bass crossover at 80. The trick in a 5:1 system is getting the level balance of the channels right, then once you get that set, equalizing everything so your response is even. The automatic microphone EQ on my Yamaha receiver was useless. I had to set everything manually. That took a couple of months of careful listening and adjusting to get right.

speaker setup

Reply #3
Either way, there is no overlap.    Either the LFE channel is kept separate and sent to the sub, or the regular bass is removed from the stereo/surround channels, mixed with the LFE, and send to the sub.

Thanks for your replay. I first think of overlapping frequencies because when i set L&R spekers to LARGE the crossover disables and i got a new row for bass which i can set 'both' and 'mix'. Neither do i know what they mean, so i have to read the AV.reciver manual first 

i'm really confused, i think this speakers deserves a LARGE kind of setup, but i prefer to avoid interference with the sub.
about the HPF freq i think i'm gonna try 80hz and 100hz, but not 120 because i put more money on the BR6 columns than my sub to reproduce that range

pd: i agree that there is not problem of overlapping or filttering when i'm listening 5.1 or 7.1 sources because of the LFE dedicated channel

speaker setup

Reply #4
The specs on your main speakers say they can go as low as 30Hz, so use the lowest crossover... 80Hz. I have a little overlap between my sub and my mains, but they are in phase to each other, placed close to each other in the room and I have equalized to smooth out the bump.

speaker setup

Reply #5
i 've now read the owner manual of the reciver. it´s said that when LARGE is set, the complete frequency range for the channel will be output. for that setting, i coud either set MIX, wich means only the R&L channels will output low freq, or BOTH which means L&R and the sub. will output low freq (overlapping) in that case, it's said that depending on the size and shape of the room, interference may result in a decrease of the actual volume of the low freq range. I try this, and i could say that when i set the phase to "rev" on the sub, the bass are very very good ! listening audio cd. Swiching the phase to "norm" all bass appears to go away...

in the other side, i also can set SMALL, in which case i prevent overlapping. the reciver cut off low freq from the L&R acording to crossover set up, which i set to 80hz

the manual guides on the crossover as follows:

• 80hz => select when the bass speaker is about 4 3/4 inches
  • 100hz => select when the bass speaker is about 3 15/16 inches
  • 120hz => select when the bass speaker is about 3 3/16 inches

note: crossover freq is allways enabled to set up (i had misunderstanding this before)

in conclusion, given the speaker i had (6 1/14 inches) i definitely set 80hz for the C.O. For stereo music i can choose between 'large/both/80hz' or 'small/80' and level up the volume a litttle the sub if i want.

What opinion do you have ? thanks for any comments..

speaker setup

Reply #6
Sounds like your sub is wired out of phase to your mains.

Large / Both / 80Hz. Don't put your sub too far from your mains.

speaker setup

Reply #7
Sounds like your sub is wired out of phase to your mains.

i think this issue it's fixable with phase set to "rev"

Large / Both / 80Hz. Don't put your sub too far from your mains.

the sub is in between the tho mains, more near the R channel (i understand that below 80hz the sound is undirectional to our ears)

and just a little near the listener position for about 20cm

pd: thanks!

speaker setup

Reply #8
that all sounds good. enjoy!