Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: lame for beginners (Read 4819 times) previous topic - next topic

lame for beginners

hi. years ago i used itunes-lame to encode with lame but when i upgraded my os operating system it stopped working. is there software that is pretty easy to use with lame 3.98.2? or should someone like me, with a limited understanding of code, stick with itunes-lame which, as far as i can tell still only uses 3.97? thanks

lame for beginners

Reply #1
Try Exact Audio Copy (EAC) and get lame 3.98.2 from RareWares.
lossyWAV -q X -a 4 -s h -A --feedback 2 --limit 15848 --scale 0.5 | FLAC -5 -e -p -b 512 -P=4096 -S- (having set foobar to output 24-bit PCM; scaling by 0.5 gives the ANS headroom to work)

lame for beginners

Reply #2
Get the latest LAME bundle  here (3.98.2)
Then, follow the wiki for EAC + LAME
Forget about  --vbr-new  since it's by default in 3.98.2

Same discussion here

EDIT: added discussion link

lame for beginners

Reply #5
Have a look at this thread: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....c=65534&hl=

Many people seem to get 3.98.x going with this, but as you can see from my bleats, my files come up commented as encoded with v.3.97, and I don't know enough to tell whether this is merely a clerical error (version number hard-coded in the script or summat), or a sign of something really wrong.

I used to use Max, by sbooth, which kept me happy and has a good rep. as a Mac ripper and file fiddler. My only reason for changing was that the metadata look-up in iTunes is better; I was ripping with Max, then importing into iTunes and doing some tagging by hand.

Although I'm sure 3.98.2 is an improvement, the comments made suggest it is incremental, rather than any kind of step-change. Certainly no-one's saying we should go and re-rip our CDs to get rid of our crusty old 3.97 files.

HTH