Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Glue cleaning (Read 10912 times) previous topic - next topic

Glue cleaning

http://www.andrewdubber.com/2010/07/gluing-my-records/

The guy coats a record in glue, waits for it to set, then peels it off. Apparently it works very well. I'm not sure how it compares to other techniques, so I figured I'd run it by you guys and see what you think.

Glue cleaning

Reply #1
There was a commercial record cleaner that used a similar concept...  I don't remember the name, but it came in a bottle with a sponge applicator attached to the top.  I believe the substance was water-based and it was rubbery when dry (kind-of like rubber cement).  It wasn't too sticky or strong so it was easy to remove and it didn't damage the label if you happen to get some on it.  IIRC, the drying time was not as long as his glue.

I liked the product!  But it was never that popular, and it dissapeared from the market (before vinyl "dissapeared".)

I also remember reading about people making something similar "at home" (with gelatin, I think).

Glue cleaning

Reply #2
In Germany this product was called Discofilm (--> Google it  )

After use it could be dissolved in warm water and propanol what made it a bit less expensive..

Glue cleaning

Reply #3
Yeah!  "DiscoFilm" sounds right!

I was looking around and I found something called Record Revirginizer[/color].

Glue cleaning

Reply #4
http://www.andrewdubber.com/2010/07/gluing-my-records/

The guy coats a record in glue, waits for it to set, then peels it off. Apparently it works very well. I'm not sure how it compares to other techniques, so I figured I'd run it by you guys and see what you think.

The 'ooh shiny' record he shows at the end clearly isn't the same one as in the other pics.  Wonder why?

Anyway, yes, there was a product like this in the States, bacl in the late 1970s, and yes, it was difficult to get the whole film off in one piece.

Glue cleaning

Reply #6
There are a lot of different PVC glues with various ingredients. I would be very cautious.

Glue cleaning

Reply #7
There are a lot of different PVC glues with various ingredients. I would be very cautious.

PVC glue would mean a 100% record destruction guarantee, that's why PVA glue has been recommended...

But I would also not recommend to use this method. It may work with very old pure PVC records, but for a couple of decades vinyl records are being made of a PVC/PVA copolymer (about 5-15% PVA). At the time of pressing the shorter chained PVA molecules even move preferably to the outer surface. So if you are unlucky you end up with an inseparable PVA/PVA bond in the end.

Glue cleaning

Reply #8
But I would also not recommend to use this method. It may work with very old pure PVC records, but for a couple of decades vinyl records are being made of a PVC/PVA copolymer (about 5-15% PVA). At the time of pressing the shorter chained PVA molecules even move preferably to the outer surface. So if you are unlucky you end up with an inseparable PVA/PVA bond in the end.
...OK, but PVA is water soluble - wouldn't 10% PVA in vinyl mean that you simply can't wash these records without making the surface dissolve?! Or does the 90% PVC cancel this effect? (I dropped Chemistry!).

Cheers,
David.

Glue cleaning

Reply #9
PVA is not water soluble.

Glue cleaning

Reply #10
PVA is not water soluble.

Perhaps David (2Bdecided) is being misled by the fact that PVA glue mixes easily with water resulting in a thinner consistency. But it's not dissolving - PVA glue is an emulsion with water, and when it dries, the remaining pure PVA is indeed waterproof. (That's why furniture doesn't fall apart if it gets wet :-)

Back to the original thread subject: I tried the "PVA film" trick many years back, but (probably due to my incompetence in application) found that it would nearly always tear into small strips when attempting the "peel". I gave up and bought a Moth vacuum machine.

Glue cleaning

Reply #11

PVC glue would mean a 100% record destruction guarantee, that's why PVA glue has been recommended...

hehehehe yeah. I meant PVA sorry. I think the confusion over water solubility is due to the fact that there is PVA Polyvinyl acetate and PVA polyvinyl alcohol. Polyvinyl alcohol is used as a seperator for mold making and casting involving fiberglass and other resign based molds and castings. That PVA is water soluble after it dries. Ironically it does not thin with water like Polyvinyl acetate.
http://www.fibreglast.com/product/PVA_Rele...3/Mold_Releases