Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Which Software still uses worse MP3-Encoders? (Read 31248 times) previous topic - next topic

Which Software still uses worse MP3-Encoders?

Reply #25
One of the main reasons why these programs use encoders besides LAME is not because they are bad programs, but because of licensing issues.

But if they are distributing any MP3 encoder, doesn't that mean they could also distribute LAME, so long as they provide the source code? Well, unless they are illegally distributing the MP3 they already provide!

I bought a Sony Ericsson phone last week, it came with a CD ripping / MP3 encoder app called Disc2Phone. I could ABX the files easily at 128 Kbps (a rarity for me). I note that Mr Questionman says they are Stereo (rather than Joint Stereo), and the encoder only provides for CBR.

According to the instruction manual, the phone supports MP3, AAC, AAC+, Enhanced AAC. So it's a bit annoying the phone comes with such a crappy encoder.

Also, Mr Questionman guessed the encoder as Bladenc, but I am assuming / hoping this is wrong!

Reply #26
LAME can't be packaged with a program that costs money, but other freeware programs sure like CDEX do

Reply #27
LAME can't be packaged with a program that costs money, but other freeware programs sure like CDEX do

It isn't true. Winamp, MediaMonkey, JASC Media Center are three apps using LAME engine and they aren't free.

Reply #28

*Of course Lame can be used within a commercial program. Many commercial software are using Lame
*CDEx is not freeware
*Lame is not freeware
*Regarding licenses, using Lame or Blade is similar (both are LGPL)

Reply #29
Sorry what I meant to say is the LAME encoder itself isn't supposed to be sold for profit is it?

Reply #30
Sorry what I meant to say is the LAME encoder itself isn't supposed to be sold for profit is it?

Nothing is preventing you to sell LAME.