Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: about "if classical" (Read 338 times) previous topic - next topic

about "if classical"

Since i have only a few classical pieces in my collection and therefore simply tag the composer as artist (i really dont care which orchester played the piece, the whole genre is about playing it pretty much the same. However a modern "cover" of a classical piece would get the performer as artist), i have a few questions about the classical functionality showcased in the example skin:

1.) Does "*if classical" only look for "classical" in the genre tags, or does it have more sophisticated functions (the tag in other languages, looking at the composer/performer fields etc...) to determine if it should be used?

2.) Do people using the composer/performer tags use the artist tag as well, or do they leave it blank if the track is classical? 
https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Foobar2000:Encouraged_Tag_Standards says nothing about classical composer performer tags.

3.) Is the function important for a large portion of the userbase?

Re: about "if classical"

Reply #1
I assume "if classical" also covers tags like Baroque,  Madrigal, Mass and so on.
2.) Do people using the composer/performer tags use the artist tag as well, or do they leave it blank if the track is classical? 
They typically care very much about it, not only when it's about HIP, but...

> Is the function important for a large portion of the userbase?

...I wouldn't worry about in your metal-style themes.
People that listen to a baroque mass in the style of venetian polychorals are typical not that much into metal. ;)

Re: about "if classical"

Reply #2
I assume "if classical" also covers tags like Baroque,  Madrigal, Mass and so on.

Nope, from my tests *if classical is evaluated only when %genre% = classical exists
You would need to add Baroque as a second tag in %genre% (multi-value)

Also no other fields like composer, conductor etc return true.