Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What will running two parallel wires do to their resistance? (Read 4138 times) previous topic - next topic

What will running two parallel wires do to their resistance?

Hi there,

I'm in the process of installing a small subwoofer in my car. As people who saw my other thread know, I'm doing this as simply as possible. My stereo can drive a sub at levels that seem fine to me, from the rear speaker outputs. The problem is that the speaker wire that runs through the car all the way to the back seems very thin for its length. Since it's gonna be a mono connection, I'm wondering what would happen if, instead of instead of the one pair of cables (right-rear as per the diagram), I connected both pairs to the same output and ran them. May be a stupid question, but does more copper overall mean less resistance, or does it matter if they're two separate wires?

These are the installation diagrams for my stereo and sub. The sub has dual coils and can be set up for 2 ohm operation.

Thanks

Reply #1
May be a stupid question, but does more copper overall mean less resistance

Yes
or does it matter if they're two separate wires?

No

The total resistance of N resistors in parallel = 1/(1/R1+1/R2+...1/RN)

So with two, in this case, you're cutting it in half.

EDIT:  The "no" above relates to resistance.  I'm sure there is some reason (perhaps esoteric) why two wires isn't as perfect as one. 
Creature of habit.

Reply #2
nice, just what I wanted to hear, thanks. Another stupid question... what if those two pairs of wires are of very different lengths?

Reply #3
nice, just what I wanted to hear, thanks. Another stupid question... what if those two pairs of wires are of very different lengths?

Speed of light is so mindfrickeningly faster than the speed of sound I really doubt if you'd hear. 
Creature of habit.

Reply #4

If they are very different lengths but the same thickness then the longer wire will add very little and most of the current will be conducted through the shorter wire.

Reply #5
If they are very different lengths but the same thickness then the longer wire will add very little and most of the current will be conducted through the shorter wire.

Honest question, how different is "very"?
Creature of habit.

Reply #6
Well in my case, and considering what you said, "very" is not too very.

Thanks again!

Reply #7
For the record: Just beware that you connect the "+" and "-" cord correctly
  • , otherwise you will shortcircuit the amplifier.

• it's a bit of a sloppy statement, but if you don't understand what it means, then do not connect the second wire at all. Seriously.