Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Embedding Album Art directly with foobar? (Read 26309 times) previous topic - next topic

Embedding Album Art directly with foobar?

is it possible to embed album art directly through foobar without having to use external programs like mp3tag?

Reply #1
Nope.

Reply #2
damn!  in v102 maybe? 

Reply #3
Probably not. Use album art files, put them somewhere sane, then add that to your configuration. That is preferable to embedded album art, which wastes space when duplicated in every file.

Reply #4
I don't think that 100kb on average for an album art is that much waste of space (at least mine are at about 100kb on average) .
Especially when you keep a whole album in one file with embedded cuesheet. There's only one album art in this file.

Keeping external album art isn't always the best choice. Some users have folders with a bunch of single track files and it may be easier to have their album art embedded.

Btw. it is possible to embed album art during conversion with foobar2000 and selected codecs (lame mp3, wavpack, and i think ogg vorbis and flac can do this too).
For mp3 you could use this string in converter:
-S --noreplaygain -V 2 --ti "C:\Pictures\%artist% - %album%.jpg" - %d
(You need to fit the path to your needs of course. And the image size is limited to 128kb with lame mp3!)

And here is an example string for embedding album art during conversion with wavpack.

Reply #5
I don't think that 100kb on average for an album art is that much waste of space (at least mine are at about 100kb on average) .

Fortunately, Peter keeps things properly sane. This is a judgment call of his that I am quite happy with.

Reply #6
Soooo...
I've made the mistake to embed my art befor i switched to foobar. so the reverse question:

Is it possibel to erase the embedded covers?
its not necessary to extract them, I have already folder.jpgs.
greetz

Reply #7
That is possible. Select all your tracks. Open the Properties dialog. Without closing the Properties dialog, go back to foobar2000. On the same selection, right-click and select Tagging > Remove Tags from Files. After that is complete, return to the Properties dialog and hit Apply then OK. You might have to add a dummy field or something to enable the "Apply" button.

If "Remove Tags from Files" is not found, you might have to enable it in the Display > Context Menu section of Preferences.

Reply #8
That is so far the most simple solution i heared - never could have imagined that this would work. But you must admit that this procces wich starts with erasing all tags is a real thrill if applied on whole library.

Reply #9
That is possible. Select all your tracks. Open the Properties dialog. Without closing the Properties dialog, go back to foobar2000. On the same selection, right-click and select Tagging > Remove Tags from Files. After that is complete, return to the Properties dialog and hit Apply then OK. You might have to add a dummy field or something to enable the "Apply" button.

If "Remove Tags from Files" is not found, you might have to enable it in the Display > Context Menu section of Preferences.

Wow, thanks for this! I had the odious Winamp installed exclusively to delete embedded art with. Now that is no longer a concern.

I suppose a proper dialog for this would be nice, since this is kinda obscure... Then again, now that I know this trick, I couldn't care less if anybody else finds out.

Reply #10
That is so far the most simple solution i heared - never could have imagined that this would work. But you must admit that this procces wich starts with erasing all tags is a real thrill if applied on whole library.

You'll lose ReplayGain data and it's not working with many formats: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=658029
You should have known that

Reply #11
isn't it easier to select all tracks and right-click and select tagging > mp3 tag types > select only ape > ok
after that the embedded art will be erased.
than select tagging > mp3 tag types > select what you need > OK

??

Reply #12
You know that there are some possible formats besides mp3?

Reply #13
yup, i know :-)

Reply #14
Something like:
AudioShell - ID3 tag editor shell extension -->> http://www.softpointer.com/AudioShell.htm

Supports more than MP3 and ID3. I've used it to add the cover art to FLAC files. Works nice.

Reply #15
Btw. it is possible to embed album art during conversion with foobar2000 and selected codecs (lame mp3, wavpack, and i think ogg vorbis and flac can do this too).
For mp3 you could use this string in converter:
-S --noreplaygain -V 2 --ti "C:\Pictures\%artist% - %album%.jpg" - %d

i have not been able to get this to work actually.  i got a new iPod and am converting a bunch of my FLAC rips to MP3.  each FLAC album has a file named "folder.jpg" that is less than 125kb.  my string of

-S --noreplaygain -V 0 --ti "\folder.jpg" - %d

has thrown errors.  does anyone know how to get LAME to recognize the folder.jpg in the same folder as the source file?

Reply #16
I don't get all these special hacks for iPod use. Last time I used foo_dop, it handled all my album art automagically.

Reply #17
@spicymeatball77
I also never got luck embedding album art from the source folder. Would like to know a solution, too.
But it works when the album art is present in the destination folder with: -S --noreplaygain -V 0 --ti "folder.jpg" - %d
Its not a real convenient solution, though...

Maybe one day foobar2000 will support add/remove/edit embedded album art natively. I still hope it

EDIT:
When your Flac's are all stored in the same folder structure (for example this folder structure: C:\Users\Your Name\Music\Artist Name\Date - Album Title)  something like this should work:
-S --noreplaygain -V 0 --ti "C:\Users\Your Name\Music\%artist%\%date% - %album%\folder.jpg" - %d

Reply #18
I hope that this functionality gets implemented in foobar2000 one day... so that I can get rid of mediamonkey.

I use cover.jpg on my library; however, I can't use that in my phone. I'd like to see a checkbox in the file operation's copy dialog to automatically embed artwork and, perhaps, resize it too.
<insert signature here>

Reply #19
@tedgo thx.  that worked but it's a little dicey.  when an album folder doesn't exactly match the album tag the conversion breaks.  but 80% of the time it works.

Reply #20
Something like:
AudioShell - ID3 tag editor shell extension -->> http://www.softpointer.com/AudioShell.htm

Supports more than MP3 and ID3. I've used it to add the cover art to FLAC files. Works nice.

thx, really handy tool!
btw don't you know how to open windows' properties dialog of selected files in foobar playlist?? it would almost solved the main problem of this topic.
bad english... if any..

Reply #21
If you use this add-on:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....edia&st=225

You can set it to open albums straight from foobar into mp3tag and than you can easily tag them (including artwork):

Label:  Mp3tag '('dir')'

Path:  "C:\Program Files\Mp3tag\Mp3tag.exe" "/fp:$substr(%_path%,0,$strrchr(%_path%,'\'))"

Label:  Mp3tag '('file')'

Path:  "C:\Program Files\Mp3tag\Mp3tag.exe" "/fn:%_path%"

Works like a charm.

Reply #22
If you use this add-on:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....edia&st=225

You can set it to open albums straight from foobar into mp3tag and than you can easily tag them (including artwork):

Label:  Mp3tag '('dir')'

Path:  "C:\Program Files\Mp3tag\Mp3tag.exe" "/fp:$substr(%_path%,0,$strrchr(%_path%,'\'))"

Label:  Mp3tag '('file')'

Path:  "C:\Program Files\Mp3tag\Mp3tag.exe" "/fn:%_path%"

Works like a charm.

I'm trying to get this to work with the latest foobar2000 and it isn't working - I changed mine to the x86 directory, but still not working. The default functions of Run Services are working. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

In the Path box I have: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mp3tag\Mp3tag.exe" "/fp:$substr(%_path%,0,$strrchr(%_path%,'\'))" (including the double quotes). I've tried it without them and it still won't work.

Edit: Doh...solution is to escape the x86..."C:\Program Files '('x86')'\Mp3tag\Mp3tag.exe" "$directory_path(%path%)".

Reply #23
Note that since this thread was last posted in, foobar2000 has gained some album art manipulation features. See them in the right-click menu under Tagging.

Reply #24
I don't think that 100kb on average for an album art is that much waste of space (at least mine are at about 100kb on average)

I second that and embedded album art in my mp3 since mp3tag supported this feature. Never regretted it, as it keeps the pic exactly where it belongs. No mess with folders, easy to share etc.

Still some music files miss embedded art and i haven't found any way yet to identify files that lack the pic within foobar2000.
It would be nice to be able to create a coulumn which shows the (non-) existence of an embedded album art.
Any way to accomplish that with foobar2000?

Thx