Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Default User Interface Preferences pages appear to be functionally broken (Read 761 times) previous topic - next topic

Default User Interface Preferences pages appear to be functionally broken

I've been trying to figure out what's going on with themes since the latest update and still haven't found any fixes.

Is anyone else having theme problems like mine?

-Imported .fth files change the listed fonts and colors in the Preferences window, but don't have any effect on which colors and fonts display on the foobar2k music player itself
-Manually changing color preferences in the preferences window has no effect on the colors displaying in foobar2k
-Manually changing font preferences in the preferences window has no effect on the fonts displaying in foobar2k
-Changing which windows (visualizations, album list, etc.) should display in the quick setup window has no effect on which windows display in foobar2k
-Columns can no longer be split, although column sizes can be changed by drag and drop
-Resetting all preferences and settings does not change any part of foobar2k's appearance

No matter what I tried to change any part of the appearance of foobar2k, the last theme I created and used appears to now be foobar2k's permanent appearance.  Yes, I've hit Apply and OK, restarted foobar2k, and I'm considering wiping all my themes and playlists, uninstalling, and reinstalling to see if that makes any difference.

I figured I'd ask here first if there's a less drastic way of fixing this (or possibly, still not fixing this), as I'd prefer keeping my themes and playlists, as well as my ratings, play-counts, etc.

Re: Default User Interface Preferences pages appear to be functionally broken

Reply #1
Well, after randomly checking boxes, finding ones that worked, and then reading an old blog post posted about 8 years ago, I've figured out my issue.  As it turns out, I had previously created themes in Default UI, as Columns UI wasn't working right for me (though I didn't realize it wasn't working right, as I had experienced what Columns UI was supposed to do when working right).  This latest update somehow fixed Columns UI or allowed it to work as intended, which meant that my foobar2k settings were trying to use whatever theme I'd created for Columns UI, and when that didn't work (I hadn't created any Columns UI themes for it to use), it simply used my last color, font, and other theme choices as a fallback.

I will take a good bit of switching tabs, but now that I know what happened, I can simply recreate my Default UI themes in Columns UI.  I hope this thread helps anyone else who has the same problem I had after the Jan 12, 2018 update.

Thank goodness I was avoiding the uninstall/reinstall option as long as I could in hopes of a reply from someone who knew what to do in this case, and simply going nuts with random settings changes out of hopelessness and boredom...

And thanks to whoever made the update and fixed a problem I didn't realize I had.

Reply #2
Those two components don't share themes. You can only use one of them at a time, as well.

Reply #3
I never thought they did.  I just didn't realize that Columns UI wasn't working right before, and it's why I'm recreating my themes in Columns UI using the same settings I'd been using in Default UI.  That way, they'll be saved as .fth files for Default UI AND as .fcl files for Columns UI.  And now that Columns UI is working right for me, I'm enjoying greater control I have over how foobar2k looks.

To clarify a bit, previously, when Columns UI was not working for me, the Columns UI part of the navigation in the Preferences window was merely showing as a copy of the Default UI tab, but with a tooltip stating that it was a legacy window.  Nothing in those tabs was functional, so I had incorrectly assumed that the whole section was merely legacy forms that simply hadn't been removed yet.  Now I know that was wrong and that they should have been functional forms which should have looked different from the Default UI forms all along.  So, previously it appeared that they shared forms; ie same input and input locations, different UIs that it outputted to, based on whether or not Columns UI was installed and enabled.