Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Need recommendation on low-budget music player (Read 2239 times) previous topic - next topic

Need recommendation on low-budget music player

Having trouble finding quite what I'm looking for. My wish list:

- under $50-60 (will consider used)
- plays FLAC files directly without converting
- built-in Bluetooth
- decent-sized screen with nice interface (not really looking to watch video on it though)
- don't really care about audio recording or FM radio (probably won't use it)

I've heard good things about AGPTek, but all the reviews on Amazon are so mixed.

Re: Need recommendation on low-budget music player

Reply #1
I would recommend an old Android phone with a clean headphone out paired with a decent audio player app such as DeaDBeeF. The used market is currently flooded with high quality Android phones from a few years ago.

Reply #2
EekWit, do you like more DeaDBeeF or foobar2000 on Android? I don't have anything Android but I was thinking of getting an old phone too to use as music player. I remember I installed PowerAmp for my uncle few years ago, tested n7, doubleTwist IIRC and that's about it.

Reply #3
Thank you... don't know why I didn't think of that. I've got a couple of old phones lying around

Reply #4
EekWit, do you like more DeaDBeeF or foobar2000 on Android? I don't have anything Android but I was thinking of getting an old phone too to use as music player. I remember I installed PowerAmp for my uncle few years ago, tested n7, doubleTwist IIRC and that's about it.
The last time I tried foobar2000 on Android was about a year ago and at that time DeaDBeeF was definitely the more mature player. A possible disadvantage of DeaDBeeF now is that the Opus codec is not supported.

There is a successor player to DeaDBeeF called DDB2, but I found it crashed frequently on my phone which still runs Android 4.2. As far as I know DDB2 still doesn't support Opus either.

DeaDBeeF and foobar2000 on Android are both gratis on the Google Play Store so I suggest you try both.