Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Can I amplify speakers with a wooden cubicle? (Read 2424 times) previous topic - next topic

Can I amplify speakers with a wooden cubicle?

I'm entering the world of vinyl, and starting with the lowest of budgets. I'm going to use a Logitech Z313 speaker set, which actually sound good on my PC, and a Audio Technica AT-LP60. Mind, this is just for the first year or so.

What I was going to do was just set them on the counter, but then I wondered if I could aid performance with a cubicle configuration to put them in. It would be built of pine- again, on the cheap- but would it keep sound from being lost in open air? Should it be carpeted on any of the interior surfaces?

It's just an idea borne of audio ignorance. I couldn't squeeze anything out of Google.

Re: Can I amplify speakers with a wooden cubicle?

Reply #1
Set them on the counter. I'm not sure what you mean by "wooden cubicle", but I doubt any additional structure will help.

Reply #2
Are you thinking of using the corners of the cubicle as a horn? That was my interpretation of your post.

Reply #4
I'm entering the world of vinyl, and starting with the lowest of budgets. I'm going to use a Logitech Z313 speaker set, which actually sound good on my PC, and a Audio Technica AT-LP60. Mind, this is just for the first year or so.

What I was going to do was just set them on the counter, but then I wondered if I could aid performance with a cubicle configuration to put them in. It would be built of pine- again, on the cheap- but would it keep sound from being lost in open air? Should it be carpeted on any of the interior surfaces?

It's just an idea borne of audio ignorance. I couldn't squeeze anything out of Google.

Rooms are rooms, as you scale the dimensions down, you scale the frequencies up.

The placement of speakers in a cubicle can be very important. Corner placement, or even placement in  a corner with a table top merged into it can kick up the bass, perhaps even too much. Let your ears and real world experimentation be your guide!