Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: convert to ape audio format in xld (Read 3798 times) previous topic - next topic

convert to ape audio format in xld

hi,
i am trying to convert audio files to monkey's lossless [ape] file format in xld ... but i could not find the ape output format in the selection pull down menu ... do i need to install the monkey's format or not? ... if yes, where can i locate this format for xld? ... please help...
cheers,

Re: convert to ape audio format in xld

Reply #1
You'd need a Monkey's Audio encoder executable for Mac and I've never heard of one.  Windows version is here:
http://www.monkeysaudio.com/

Why not use Apple Lossless or FLAC?  Both are supported by XLD.

Reply #2
You've never heard of one because the source code to Monkey's Audio is incredibly specific to the Windows platform. The only portable decoder is in FFmpeg, and there is no portable encoder. Of course, maybe I'm ill informed, and this dead format has crept back into relevance with portable code.

Reply #3
You can install winebottler and run monkeys audio for windows. I did it on OSX 10.6 a while back.

You rip with xld then encode with the windows version. A portable decoder can be mac.exe under Wine.

Reply #4
You've never heard of one because the source code to Monkey's Audio is incredibly specific to the Windows platform. The only portable decoder is in FFmpeg, and there is no portable encoder. Of course, maybe I'm ill informed, and this dead format has crept back into relevance with portable code.

In linux there are many players that handle APE . Its just in OSX for some reason theres always a lack of winamp / foobar like players. I think clementine may be an option.

Why you say its a dead format ?? There constant development although on a small scale and many other gpl foss projects are truly dead. Its still an efficient software if your looking for fast encoding / good compression with some hardware support except when using its very high presets.

Reply #6

In linux there are many players that handle APE . Its just in OSX for some reason theres always a lack of winamp / foobar like players.
Decoding and playing APE/Monkey's Audio has never been a problem on OS X so there are plenty of players for Mac that can play ape files. For instance, VOX supports a lot of formats, including APE, and of course there is VLC.

The problem is encoding. XLD that the topicstarter talks about can decode FROM Monkey's Audio to another format but it can't encode TO Monkey's Audio.

Now, why anyone would want to encode TO .ape and not just use FLAC is a mystery to me.
Every night with my star friends / We eat caviar and drink champagne
Sniffing in the VIP area / We talk about Frank Sinatra
Do you know Frank Sinatra? / He's dead

Reply #7
My mistake, I was under the impression that development had died around the 3.99 release.

Reply #8
I just stumbled upon this thread today... Anyway xACT will encode to .ape on Mac, regardless it's worth doing or not.
http://xact.scottcbrown.org