Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WASAPI bits and WASAPI vs ASIO (Read 3030 times) previous topic - next topic

WASAPI bits and WASAPI vs ASIO

Hi all,

hope I didn't wrong the section, WASAPI is a plugin, but I need a general opinion from you.

Since I upgraded to Win 10 I have problem with ASIO and my DAC.

I am planning to use WASAPI event instead.

1) About the "bit" question... what I have to choose? 16, 24 or 32? Especially, If I listen to something that is 16 bit and WASAPI is set to 24 bit, what will happen exacly? I will lose something?

2) I am afraid you will blame me, but, my DAC has native support to ASIO, so I ask you, if I will start to use WASAPI instead, what I will lose?

Re: WASAPI bits and WASAPI vs ASIO

Reply #1
I run with the output format at 24 bits when I use WASAPI - if the output source is 16 bits the bottom bits will be padded with 0's and bit perfect playback etc, still work fine.

Many ASIO drivers are more twitchy than WASAPI, etc. so most people have an easier time with WASAPI, etc.  You can get bit perfect output from any of the output methods in foobar2000 on Windows so that's not an issue.  ASIO was designed for audio editing and it's strengths aren't needed for simple audio playback.

As I mentioned in your other thread, it wasn't until I reinstalled my DAC's drivers in Windows 10 that things started working correctly after my upgrade from Windows 7.  YMMV.

Also someone suggested going to foobar2000 1.3.12 since it's changelog mentions "Corrected various 1.3.11 pause regressions."

Reply #2
Hi all,

hope I didn't wrong the section, WASAPI is a plugin, but I need a general opinion from you.

1) About the "bit" question... what I have to choose? 16, 24 or 32? Especially, If I listen to something that is 16 bit and WASAPI is set to 24 bit, what will happen exacly? I will lose something?

2) I am afraid you will blame me, but, my DAC has native support to ASIO, so I ask you, if I will start to use WASAPI instead, what I will lose?

I also run my WASAPI output at 24bits and only listen to 16bit FLAC rips. tedsmith is correct, the 'missing' 8 bits will be zeros and your 16bit source is unaffected.

I am using a presonus Audiobox 22VSL in windows 10.
Life-long Music Collection: 747GB / 25,646 Tracks & COUNTING! - 99% Lossless FLAC

Reply #3
Hi all,

I also run my WASAPI output at 24bits and only listen to 16bit FLAC rips. tedsmith is correct, the 'missing' 8 bits will be zeros and your 16bit source is unaffected.

I am using a presonus Audiobox 22VSL in windows 10.

Yes, you and another user give me at least the chance to be happy with WASAPI too but I will argue and fight until I will have my BIT PERFECT ASIO working as I want, when in PAUSE the connection to the DAC must be ON.