Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: CueTools Audio Output settings not stored in profile (Read 3781 times) previous topic - next topic

CueTools Audio Output settings not stored in profile

I've recently ripped my 500+ cd collection to flac using CueRipper, and then downconverted them with CueTools to "V0" mp3s for my Squeezebox system, and "V5" mp3s for my portable player. So now I'm in maintenance mode doing the occasional cd as I buy them.

So I've set up a couple of profiles, but the profiles don't seem to store the "Audio Output" setings.

I've had a look inside the profile.txt files and can see all the other stuff from the "Settings" gearwheel, and the Paths, etc, but nothing for the chosen audio output settings. Choosing a different profile just leaves the old audio settings as they were.

I've searched the forum topics for "Audio Settings", but can't find an answer. Am I missing something or is there a good reason for this behaviour ? The CueTools Wiki - (1) Profiles - seems to imply that everything should be saved in the profile.

tia - plugs

Reply #1
CUETools saves current settings when you exit the program. When you create a profile, you need to set all your preferred settings then exit. CUETools will start in the 'default' profile. When you select your newly saved profile, all the settings should be the same as when you exited.

Note: Changes to any profile will be saved on exit (even if that profile is not currently selected).

Edit: OK I've just duplicated the problem. If you change the Audio Output settings in the 'default' profile then change to a different profile without exiting, the new Audio Output settings are carried to the next selected profile. This only seems to happen with changes to the 'default' profile and they remain 'linked' until new Audio Output settings are saved on exit in the custom profile.
korth

Reply #2
Hi Korth, thanks for the quick response.

I don't see quite the same as you. I've tried with both  CUETools v2.1.4 installed and v2.1.5 run directly from the unzipped download. Here's what I see (as a user with admin rights on Windows 7 64bit);

To set things up, I finalised my settings, output path template, Audio Output as vbr(libmp3lame) & V0 and save a profile and exit CUETools.

I restart CUETools and get the default profile. I set a different output path template, set Audio Output as cbr(libmp3lame) and 128 and save a second profile and exit CUETools.

here's where I see a difference to you;

I restart CUETools again and get the default profile, then without doing anything else, I select select first new profile. The output path is changed to the one I expect as the one saved in the first new profile, but the details of the Audio Output fields didn't change, they remain as in the default profile.

If I select the second newly created profile, again without doing anything else, the output path changes to the one saved in the second profile, but the audio output details again remain as in the default profile.

And here's the curious bit - I've now tried this on my Vista (32bit, user with admin rights) laptop, both 2.1.4 and 2.1.5 and both work as expected on that!

at least you can partially replicate what I'm seeing

plugs

Reply #3
I've done a bit more testing starting afresh;

start with default, set Audio Output to lossless/flac/libFLAC/5 and exit

restart AO is lossless/flac/libFLAC/5

set AO to lossy/mp3/VBR(libmp3lame)/V0, create test_V0 profile. AO immediately switches to lossless/flac/libFlake/7. Reset AO to lossy/mp3/VBR(libmp3lame)/V0 and exit - which should update the profile.

restart shows default profile but AO is lossy/mp3/VBR(libmp3lame)/V0

set AO to lossy/mp3/CBR(libmp3lame)/128, create test_C128 profile. AO immediately switches to lossless/flac/libFlake/7. Reset AO to lossy/mp3/CBR(libmp3lame)/128 and exit to update the second profile

restart shows default profile but AO is lossy/mp3/CBR(libmp3lame)/128

reset AO to lossless/flac/libFLAC/5 and exit

now the test:

restart shows default, with AO = lossless/flac/libFLAC/5
select test_V0 profile AO shows lossy/mp3/CBR(libmp3lame)/128
select test_C128 profile AO shows lossless/flac/libFLAC/5
select default profile AO shows lossless/flac/libFLAC/5
and exit
restart shows default, with AO = lossless/flac/libFLAC/5
select test_V0 profile AO shows lossy/mp3/CBR(libmp3lame)/128
and exit

it almost looks like it was one step behind when saving the profiles

running windiff on the two profiles shows only two lines that are different;

profile-test_V0 --------- profile-test_C128.txt

MusicBrainzLookup=1 ----- MusicBrainzLookup=1
AccurateRipLookup=1 ----- AccurateRipLookup=1
LocalDBLookup=1 --------- LocalDBLookup=1
SkipRecent=0 ------------ SkipRecent=0
CUEToolsDBLookup=1 ------ CUEToolsDBLookup=1
OutputAudioType=2 ------- OutputAudioType=0 -------- <<<<<
OutputAudioFmt=mp3 ------ OutputAudioFmt=flac ------ <<<<<
AccurateRipMode=0 ------- AccurateRipMode=0
CUEStyle=0 -------------- CUEStyle=0
WriteOffset=0 ----------- WriteOffset=0

and YES I HAVE got them labled correctly, the Output lines appear to be one step behind in the original setup sequence

dunno if any of this is any use

plugs

Reply #4
set AO to lossy/mp3/VBR(libmp3lame)/V0, create test_V0 profile. AO immediately switches to lossless/flac/libFlake/7.

When you create a profile, you're just creating the name and profile settings text file with general settings (that appear on the GUI) which are based [I think] on the 'convert' profile. The settings that were on the screen prior to creating the profile name are not saved to the new profile. You have to change settings and exit to save them to the new profile settings text file. Changing the settings on an existing profile prior to creating a new profile is actually just changing the settings of the existing profile.
korth

Reply #5
yes, that penny dropped, hence the lines;

Reset AO to lossy/mp3/VBR(libmp3lame)/V0 and exit - which should update the profile.

and

Reset AO to lossy/mp3/CBR(libmp3lame)/128 and exit to update the second profile

so the profiles should contain the correct settings, but they don't, I can include one if it would help (in code tags ?)

it also doesn't explain why the default changed, as I didn't exit the program before setting up the new profile then correcting the settings and then exiting, so the changes to "default" shouldn't have been saved;

Restart shows default profile but AO is lossy/mp3/VBR(libmp3lame)/V0
Set AO to lossy/mp3/CBR(libmp3lame)/128, create test_C128 profile. AO immediately switches to lossless/flac/libFlake/7. Reset AO to lossy/mp3/CBR(libmp3lame)/128 and exit to update the second profile
Restart shows default profile but AO is lossy/mp3/CBR(libmp3lame)/128

so I accept, changing the settings before creating the profile is irrelevant and un-necesary, but it shouldn't have any effect as that change is never saved.

re it working on my Vista laptop, it doesn't, I didn't pay enough attention to what was actually on the screen.

regards - plugs

Reply #6
See Note in [a href='index.php?act=findpost&pid=882952']post#2[/a].
I read that you set AO in 'default' to lossy/mp3/CBR(libmp3lame)/128 then created 'test_C128' profile, then also set AO in 'test_C128' to lossy/mp3/CBR(libmp3lame)/128 and exited. Both 'default' and 'test_C128' AO are saved to lossy/mp3/CBR(libmp3lame)/128 on exit because that's how they were set prior to exit.
korth

Reply #7
yes, exactly.

but that's not whats in the profile-test_C128.txt file that shows the lines

OutputAudioType=0
OutputAudioFmt=flac

as in my post [a href=\'index.php?act=findpost&pid=882969\']here[/a] near the bottom

which is what gets displayed in the AO when I select that profile. the problem seems to be that the profile somehow doesn't contain the right info.

Surely,
create test_C128 profile. AO immediately switches to lossless/flac/libFlake/7. Reset AO to lossy/mp3/CBR(libmp3lame)/128 and exit to update the second profile
should have ensured that it does

regards - plugs

Reply #8
Saw that and concluded it was likely a part of the problem I've already duplicated and acknowledged in the Edit section of [a href='index.php?act=findpost&pid=882952']post#2[/a]. I will forward the additional info to the developer in the bug report.

After acknowledging that problem I've focused on addressing the other problems you're having with settings changing in profiles that are not related to this apparent bug.

korth

Reply #9
thanks for taking the time to look into it and for passing this along to the developer

lets hope its a fairly simple issue for him to resolve. if you/he needs any further info, please add to this thread or send me an email.

will you/he post the outcome here in this thread or should I just watch for a new release ?

thanks again for your time and patience

regards - plugs

Reply #10
Working on it
CUETools 2.1.6

Reply #11
Hi Gregory and Korth

I've had a look at the new 2.1.6 and done some quick testing, creating a few different profiles, and it appears to be fixed. The profiles are reloaded with the same settings as they were saved with. I'll have a longer play a bit later, but if you don't hear anything else from me you can cross this one off the list.

Great work, thanks for your help,

plugs

Reply #12
Thank you!
CUETools 2.1.6