Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

18-25
[ 15 ] (41.7%)
26-40
[ 16 ] (44.4%)
40-50
[ 4 ] (11.1%)
50-120
[ 1 ] (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Topic: Hearing Survey (Read 3691 times) previous topic - next topic

Hearing Survey

According to researches that have been done during the last couple of years

Researches found out that listening to music in high intensity and long duration will cause Noise Induced Hearing Loss

A Number of companies are currently developing practical means for alerting of hazardous sound dosages during the use of personal music players

We will appreciate if you can answer this short survey

General Information

1. Age -

2. Gender – M/F

3. Do you have kids – Y/N

4. What will be your motivation to buy this kind of gadget?

a. Health Trend

b. Fashion / Style

c. Other

5. Would you like that people surround you will know that you have this king of gadget? Yes/ No

6. What will be your willingness to pay for this kind of health gadget?

a. 0-5$

b. 5-10$

c. 10-20$

7. Would you buy new headset in order to achieve max quality and control from this feature? yes /no

8. if currently you don’t have this feature will you invest more money by buying new music player / replace the current one? yes/no no (only because I don’t use one enough)

9. How would you like to get the alert?

a. Lighting

b. Voice

c. Reduce volume automatically without notification

d. Reduce volume automatically with notification

e. N/A

10. Would you like to have the control that will enable cancellation of the alert option? Yes/No

11. Would you like to have permanent accumulative visible graph on your display? yes/ no

Hearing Survey

Reply #1
Would you buy new headset in order to achieve max quality and control ...

Good grief!  "Quality" here appears to be a spurious marketing term, and as for "control", I've already got that in the form of the volume slider.

This is the equivalent of a "supersized" MacDonald's addict going in for stomach-stapling.  If people don't want to damage their hearing they can turn the volume down.  They already know that and choose not to.

Hearing Survey

Reply #2
I think for the most part, people can determine if the music they are listening to is too loud and should be turned down.  Some people want to damage their ears and I think they would continue to turn up the volume if it automatically lowered.

For me, I've found a volume level on my computer that I'm comfortable listening to.  It's really up to people themselves to determine what's a good listening level.  I think the only effective way of preventing stubborn people from damaging their ears would be to limit the volume levels as some countries already do.

I think what's more of a problem is the large change in volume that can occur when changing songs.  This would be when people are using a shuffle sort of play mode or simply when switching albums.  mp3gain and replaygain solve this problem, but all your music would have to have this applied to it.  I know mp3gain can be used in most places, but is there any support for replaygain tags on portable devices?

The lowering of volumes through some external device seems a little odd if the volumes aren't already normalized in some way.  Maybe I don't understand exactly what the gadget would be like, but I think this kind of monitoring would be better if implemented in the device playing back the music.  I suppose it could be useful if the volume lowered inbetween songs and as a result of the device noticing the amount of time a person's been listening to music.  Still, couldn't people simply lower the volume manually after a while?  I think most people would have this reaction if the loudness of the music was beginning to bother them.

Hearing Survey

Reply #3
Listening habits which are hazardous to ones hearing, are just one part of a much bigger phenomenon: a culture/mentality which promotes escalation and inflation. "Extremes and over-the-top are good!". Everything at total maximum full-force all the time.

Your research does not target the root of the problem..... perhaps because that would be too difficult and no longer have to do with your limited field of research alone.

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Hearing Survey

Reply #4
Listening habits which are hazardous to ones hearing, are just one part of a much bigger phenomenon: a culture/mentality which promotes escalation and inflation. "Extremes and over-the-top are good!". Everything at total maximum full-force all the time.

Your research does not target the root of the problem..... perhaps because that would be too difficult and no longer have to do with your limited field of research alone.

- Lyx

I agree, but my research is limited to this alone for now...